Motor Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently worked on a 208v three phase air compressor motor in which the electrician before me had grounded the motor with a one foot piece of metal flex conduit from the grounded motor control box. The flex has ends listed for grounding, but enters the motor junction box through reducing washers. Is it required by code to use a grounding bushing or grounding locknut where the flex enters through the reducing washers? If it is necessary could a bonding wedge also be used? Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I hope it isn't necessary since I have never used a grounding bushing when I used reducing washers. As far as I know they are suitable for grounding.

This is from the white book

Outlet Bushings and Fittings (QCRV)−Continued Metal reducing washers are considered suitable for grounding for use in circuits over and under 250 V and where installed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical Code.’’ Reducing washers are intended for use with metal enclosures having a minimum thickness of 0.053 in. for non-service conductors only. Reducing washers may be installed in enclosures provided with concentric or eccentric knockouts, only after all of the concentric and eccentric rings have been removed. However, those enclosures containing concentric and eccentric knockouts that have been Listed for bonding purposes may be used with reducing washers without all knockouts being removed.
CARTON MARKINGS
Fittings for use with flexible cords and marked ‘‘Liquid-Tight’’ on the carton indicates suitability for the use where directly exposed to oil spray or to
rain.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
250.118 allows the use of FMC for the conductive path - EGC - if the OCPD is 20 amperes or less and 6 ft or less in length.
There are listed reducing washers available.
but if flexibility is required after installation, and EGC of the wire type must be installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
250.118 allows the use of FMC for the conductive path - EGC - if the OCPD is 20 amperes or less and 6 ft or less in length.
There are listed reducing washers available.
but if flexibility is required after installation, and EGC of the wire type must be installed.

Tom are you saying there are reducing washers that are not listed for grounding? Wouldn't the white book have made reference to listed washers if that was the case?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Tom are you saying there are reducing washers that are not listed for grounding? Wouldn't the white book have made reference to listed washers if that was the case?

Some reducing washers are stamped with UL and some are not. I bet the answer is to look at the box they come in, which I don't have.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought that everything talked about in the UL White Book was a listed or classified item.

TT009

That is for circuits 250 volts to ground. Thus a standard 3 phase 208V or 240v system is not affected by this article.

That is correct. The way I read it, 250.96 just state that the frame needs to be effectively grounded. The use of FMC would suffice according to 250.118

250.97 "Over 250V" requires you to use a grounding bushing or other listed devices (250.92(B))

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The motor draws 20.6 amps, and has a OCPD of 30 amps. From the code citations you guys are listing it appears that an individual ground wire should have been run in the last foot of fmc. The motor says it should be grounded with a #8. It is an industrial motor that can be used either 208-230v/460v. The circuit that supplies it is a 208v, three phase circuit with # 10 wire. A #10 ground wire runs from the panel to the motor control box. The grounded motor control box is bolted to the side of the compressor. The only place a #10 ground was not included was from the control box to the motor. I don't know if this makes any difference.

jumper

The motor draws 20.6 amps, and has a OCPD of 30 amps. From the code citations you guys are listing it appears that an individual ground wire should have been run in the last foot of fmc. The motor says it should be grounded with a #8. It is an industrial motor that can be used either 208-230v/460v. The circuit that supplies it is a 208v, three phase circuit with # 10 wire. A #10 ground wire runs from the panel to the motor control box. The grounded motor control box is bolted to the side of the compressor. The only place a #10 ground was not included was from the control box to the motor. I don't know if this makes any difference.

If the MFG. instructions call for a #8 than the #10 is a violation, 110.3(B). I know that is probably overkill, but that is the way it is.

The FMC cannot be used since it is more than 20 amps, but that is a moot point at this time.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
my 2? worth...
The FMC from the starter to the motor (and pressure switch) look like they may be factory wired as part of the compressor with field wiring coming to the starter only. If that were the case then there would be no NEC violation, except for the fact that you brought up the #8 to the motor. If this is part of the manufacturers install instructions, then it should be there. (I have connected a lot of compressors and never ran across such a requirement).
If the FMC is filed installed, then, as mentioned it would not meet the NEC requirements as a ground as it is a 30 amp circuit, and, under "normal" conditions a #10 would need to be installed along with the circuit conductors.
If you have an EGC to the starter and everything is fastened to the steel frame, and the motor FMC is factory installed I would not be concerned unless the aforementioned #8 is a "requirement".

Status
Not open for further replies.