Commercial receptacle rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

It has been a while since I did any commercial work. I thought that all 120 volt receptacles had to be rated 20 amps. Is this in the NEC, and if not then maybe it is in my cities code? I know I have never seen 15 amp / 120 volt circuits in a commercial building, they have all been 20 amp / 120 volt circuits.

I have seen 15 amp rated receptacles on 20 amp circuits in commercial buildings which Im thinking is a NEC violation? thanks.

btharmy

I have seen 15 amp rated receptacles on 20 amp circuits in commercial buildings which Im thinking is a NEC violation? thanks.

Nope. No violation there, unless it is a single receptacle, or 14awg wire. You can put 15a devices on a 20a circuit.

GG

Thanks. I will have to check with the city hall tommorow to see if they have a requirement that only allows 20 amp rated receptacles and 20 amp rated circuits.

mcclary's electrical

Thanks. I will have to check with the city hall tommorow to see if they have a requirement that only allows 20 amp rated receptacles and 20 amp rated circuits.

Well sure they would ALLOW a 20 amp receptecle. Question is whether they require it? It's legal to put 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit as long as there are more than one of them. There is no requirement on 20 amp circuits either, It's just everybody uses 20 amp circuits because they themselves fill a panel up very quickly. If you had fridge or water cooler in a commercial building, you could most certainly run a dedicated 15 amp circuit to it.

Cavie

It has been a while since I did any commercial work. I thought that all 120 volt receptacles had to be rated 20 amps. Is this in the NEC, and if not then maybe it is in my cities code? I know I have never seen 15 amp / 120 volt circuits in a commercial building, they have all been 20 amp / 120 volt circuits.

It is a design issue or local code amendment not an NEC code.

Status
Not open for further replies.