680.25 (b) 1-2 & 680.26 (b) 1-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called to R&R a 240v/7.5A pool pump. The pool system is 15+ yrs. old and home owner installed. I believe that I found several violations. But I not clear in how to define 680.

1) To me, 680 reads that motor needs to be bonded with a solid #8, along with the rest of the electrical pool equipment or would a #12 be to code?

2) There's no grounding electrode for the remote sub-panel.

3) The sub-panel is mounted on a fence (no roof or cover) less than 3' off the concrete deck.

4) The Sub-panel is a Zinsco.

Any input would be helpful.

Mark

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was called to R&R a 240v/7.5A pool pump. The pool system is 15+ yrs. old and home owner installed. I believe that I found several violations. But I not clear in how to define 680.

1) To me, 680 reads that motor needs to be bonded with a solid #8, along with the rest of the electrical pool equipment or would a #12 be to code?
Bonding would need to be by a #8 minimum
2) There's no grounding electrode for the remote sub-panel.
Not necessarily a rquirement unless this is considered to be a seperate structure
3) The sub-panel is mounted on a fence (no roof or cover) less than 3' off the concrete deck.
How far is the panel from the edge of the pool ?
4) The Sub-panel is a Zinsco.
Bad news but not a Code violation
Any input would be helpful.

Mark

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
almost ditto. How long ago was the ground rod needed at a separate structure. The zinsco panel may have been installed before the code on this.

Let me clarify. A #12 is sufficient as the EGC for the pump. The #8 is only for the equipotential bonding-- i.e. tying all the metal parts related to the pool, together. The #8 does not need to go to the panel.

Cavie

almost ditto. How long ago was the ground rod needed at a separate structure. The zinsco panel may have been installed before the code on this.

Let me clarify. A #12 is sufficient as the EGC for the pump. The #8 is only for the equipotential bonding-- i.e. tying all the metal parts related to the pool, together. The #8 does not need to go to the panel.

Dennis, you stole my thunder!

Dennis, you stole my thunder!

Bonding would need to be by a #8 minimum

Not necessarily a requirement unless this is considered to be a separate structure
NO structure. Just a fence. But separate from service panel.
How far is the panel from the edge of the pool ?
>20'
Bad news but not a Code violation

Let me clarify. A #12 is sufficient as the EGC for the pump.
EGC, Please define for me?
Forgive me if I did separate quotes wrong

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Let me clarify. A #12 is sufficient as the EGC for the pump.
EGC, Please define for me?
Forgive me if I did separate quotes wrong

EGC = equipment grounding conductor. That would be the ground wire you pull into the conduit to ground the pump. Is that what you wanted to know?

May I summarize my understanding:

The #12 Ground I installed from the new pump motor to the panel is to code?

The Zinsco N.G. but code.

There should be a #8 grounding electrode conductor to pool equipment (ladders, diving boards etc.) but not needed if the motor(s) are grounded with #12.

A new #8 conductor should be connected to a grounding electrode.

Cavie

May I summarize my understanding:

The #12 Ground I installed from the new pump motor to the panel is to code?

The Zinsco N.G. but code.

There should be a #8 grounding electrode conductor to pool equipment (ladders, diving boards etc.) but not needed if the motor(s) are grounded with #12.

A new #8 conductor should be connected to a grounding electrode.

yes #12 is code and a must.

yes Zinsco is code

#8 BOND (not electrode conductor) bonding all metal within 5' of the pool. No ground rod used.

#8 must always be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.