Cat5e/6e

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

What is the difference between 5e and 6e? Also RG6 and RG6 quad Shield? Not familiar with comm/data cables. What is being currently used in most residential applications? Thanks much for any input.

shepelec

RG6 Quad is the standard CATV coax being used now. It has better sheilding than RG6 to better support digital signals. Most of the cable companies that I know of will only use quad sheilded cable.

shockin

To confuse the issue even more Cat6e is even outdated at this point.

There is now Cat 6A (augmented) as well as Cat 7.

FWIW we don't see RG6 quad used very often. In a normal house RG6 is fine. On a high end house they won't be using co-ax anyway.

mcclary's electrical

FWIW we don't see RG6 quad used very often. In a normal house RG6 is fine. On a high end house they won't be using co-ax anyway.

I agree, I don't run quad in a residence

mkgrady

If you don't use coax what do you run to each location where you think a TV or a cable modem might be used?

Isn't the normal setup to have coax home runs to the demarc? A splitter for the incoming service to feeds all the rooms? At each room you would hook the TV direct or to a cable box if you want more channels or to a HD cable box if you want HD channels. What do you use if you don't use coax?

shepelec

If I'm not mistaken, digital signals depend less on shield coverage than analog signals do.

Tell that to Comcast, thats all they run. I had a problem a few years back with a new install. Comcast came out and said it was because it was not quad shield. Well I changed out the cable to quad and the problem was gone.
For the slight extra cost, I'll install the quad it is a whole lot cheaper than the 5 hrs I spent replacing the other stuff.:)

shockin

If you don't use coax what do you run to each location where you think a TV or a cable modem might be used?

On a high end home they will be running component cables or HDMI cables to the TV's. This usually falls outside of our scope because they will engauge the services of an installer who will also do their whole house audio, ipod docking stations, intercom, theater room, as well as sell them the tv's and equipment ect.

As to your question about cat 5e or 6e. There is no reason IMO in this day of wireless to install a hard wired network for computers so I assume you are talking about the phones.

Cat 5e is fine. Cat 3 or POTS would be fine to but it's not stocked anymore around here.

shockin

Tell that to Comcast, thats all they run. I had a problem a few years back with a new install. Comcast came out and said it was because it was not quad shield. Well I changed out the cable to quad and the problem was gone.
For the slight extra cost, I'll install the quad it is a whole lot cheaper than the 5 hrs I spent replacing the other stuff.:)

I don't claim to be an expert on co-ax - but I have been told by the cable installers that the terminations is actually where most of the problems occur. Is it possible that when you re-wired your home you were a little more careful the second time on your terminations? Just asking.

mkgrady

On a high end home they will be running component cables or HDMI cables to the TV's. This usually falls outside of our scope because they will engauge the services of an installer who will also do their whole house audio, ipod docking stations, intercom, theater room, as well as sell them the tv's and equipment ect.

I understand component or HDMI cables would be run to the TV from a A/V system, but what is run to each room from where the cable provider enters the home? I always run coax. Somebody above indicated there is something better that is run in high end homes.

shockin

I understand component or HDMI cables would be run to the TV from a A/V system, but what is run to each room from where the cable provider enters the home? I always run coax. Somebody above indicated there is something better that is run in high end homes.

In high end homes ALL of the compents for the home are located in a media closet. This would include satelite recievers, cable boxes, DVR's, blueray players, audio recievers, ect. From this closet they will run a number of component cables to each TV location in the home. The equipment is then controlled thru RF remotes. The system actually works very well, and you don't have to look at all the the equipment in each room. It also allows you to "share" equipment.

This set-up is similar to what they do in a sports bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.