Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWinters

I was wondering if this meets code.In a barn a 12-2 nm comes from a light to the panel. The white and ground terminate and the black is spliced threw to the black of a 12-3 uf-b. The black goes to one side of a single pole switch and the red on the other side of the switch goes back to the panel and breaker. Theres a splice on the red in the switch box to another single pole switch that is going to another light that takes the white of the 12-3 also. Is it code to splice in the panel and or have two circuits in one cable not sharing the white?
Thanks for thoughts.

walkerj

Nothing wrong with splicing in a panel.

You may be OK with the neutral set up since it is non-metallic wiring.

Experts will soon chime in;)

kwired

Electron manager
Does this barn fall into article 547 Agricultural Buildings requirments?

Read 547.1 (A) and (B).

If the conditions in A and B exist you must follow requirements in the rest of 547 and type NM cable is not permitted to be used.

JWinters

You can see threw the siding of the barn ,but theres a fairly new top hinged panel cover thats rated for the location I guess. I think that the wire to the light should be changed to uf-b and have weather tight connectors ? Thanks for all your help.

Jim W in Tampa

Sleeved as in conduit ? If so no. They stapled to the bottom of the second floor joists with the nm.

OK we might best dive into what is in this barn and its use. If this was or is a shed the wiring itself circuit wise is OK. Now enters subject to damage on the romex. Not all barns have hay and animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.