ceiling fan humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
There are 2 ceiling fans 52" on the same switch on a porch. Fan #1 does not hum, fan # 2 does hum. The fans were swapped replacing fan#1 with fan#2 and now fan#1 (in the original fan #2 position) hums and #2 does not. I dont know if the switch leg was run to position 1 and then jumped to position 2 but probably. There are no speed controls and all wiring looks good. Anyone know what would make the second fan hum? (They are identical fan).......hope this isnt to confusing.

mcclary's electrical

There are 2 ceiling fans 52" on the same switch on a porch. Fan #1 does not hum, fan # 2 does hum. The fans were swapped replacing fan#1 with fan#2 and now fan#1 (in the original fan #2 position) hums and #2 does not. I dont know if the switch leg was run to position 1 and then jumped to position 2 but probably. There are no speed controls and all wiring looks good. Anyone know what would make the second fan hum? (They are identical fan).......hope this isnt to confusing.

It sounds like a mechanical hum more than electrical. Maybe verify it's grounded, but I suspect a mechanical problem with the mounting. Bath fans mounted on those sliding rails are famous for it. Lay your hand against the fan, it stops immediately.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm trying to be mature here. (Translation: Yeah, you beat me. :grin:)

If it's the position, not the fan assembly, it has to be mechanical.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Bad fan! Bad fan! Bad, bad fan!!
Seriously though the fan that hums is likely a bad fan and just needs to be replaced.

ken60

Since he has swapped fans to try each one in position #2 and both do not hum in position #1 but both do hum in position #2, I agree that there is a physical characteristic in position #2 that is causing this.

There is a vibration in the fans that is amplified and telegraphed thru the ceiling structure due to some difference at position #2. Try some sort of rubber padding between the ceiling and the canopy or maybe loosen the fan mount a little so the vibration is not transferred so easily.

cschmid

I agree not the fan could be controls or loose box or even worse striped out bolt so fan does not get held tight..just my 2cents worth..I tell you my 2 cents is worth less now since they use more zinc then copper..:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe it's the convergence of three tachyon particle beams, striking a single point from three different time periods.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
I thought it was the flux capacitor................lol....thanks for the replies. The mechanical problem was what I told him (Builder)to which he seemed to not agree with:confused::mad:. He had a local "fan" company install the fans and his other electrician wired the house. And yet I get called to diagnose their problems:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.