Upgrading Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

I have heard and seen several homeowners increase the capacity of their residential service by simply increasing the size of the main breaker in their panel. Assuming panel is rated for increased size, I still explain to them that by simply increasing the breaker doesn't increase the service capacity due to the fact that the service is limited by the cable size coming from the POCO. Many times this is a case of someone changing the main breaker from a 100A to 200A breaker.

I'm looking for answers explaining the truth behind how much you can actually increase your breaker size to allow increased capacity? What are the limitations on the utility size? Do you need to contact the utility to have them incerase the feeder to your meter?

erickench

My past experience with this subject is that the utility companies will allow their cables to run hot. But NEC 230.42 may give the answer that you're looking for.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Whenever I do a service change I get permitted and the poco will come out, however I don't think I ever was able to upsize a main breaker in a panel.

Depending on who is responsible the other wires must be sized appropriately. The POCO, of course, has their own requirements. If you are responsible for the riser then those wires must be at least sized for the calculated load of the structure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have heard and seen several homeowners increase the capacity of their residential service by simply increasing the size of the main breaker in their panel. Assuming panel is rated for increased size, I still explain to them that by simply increasing the breaker doesn't increase the service capacity due to the fact that the service is limited by the cable size coming from the POCO. Many times this is a case of someone changing the main breaker from a 100A to 200A breaker.

I'm looking for answers explaining the truth behind how much you can actually increase your breaker size to allow increased capacity? What are the limitations on the utility size? Do you need to contact the utility to have them incerase the feeder to your meter?

I don't see how this is possible without creating a fire hazard and a few others violations in the process. Are you saying that someone has an existing panel with bus rated higher than the size of the main and oversized service entrance conductors too which would allow a larger main OCPD? I see that scenario as almost impossible.

dcooper

........It's pretty much totally against everything we are tought as licensed electricians. the power co have their own set of guidelines

benaround

The answer is you 'can not' increase the breaker size at all, period. If more capacity is

needed, the service, including the wire, the meter socket, and the panel, will all need to be

upgraded. In the case you mentioned that would be from 100a service to a 200a service.

Volta

...I'm looking for answers explaining the truth behind how much you can actually increase your breaker size to allow increased capacity?
If it is a single main breaker in a panelboard, it must have a rating no higher than the conductors' ampacity 230.90(A) and not higher than the panelboard it serves 408.36. So almost always it will take more work than a simple breaker change.

kwired

Electron manager

Sounds like same ignorant type of people that have figured out that if the 15 or 20 amp breaker that inconveniently trips frequently, that by installing a 30 amp breaker you have now fixed the problem:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.