TDR'S for fault location

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagyar

I've read some of the last threads (last year) on TDR'S, but wanted to know as far as the "Fluke TS90", which is marketed as a network tool. This seems to have the same capability (as far as a simple distance to a fault vs. a wave form display) and it's a lot less expensive. Has anyone used one of these for fault location? I've got a potential client with some U/F cable thats dead shorted, hot, neutral and ground. I've used a Schronsteadt mac 51bx locator to map the underground route, but needed something to zero in on the short.

e57

I'm unsure of that particular model - it may not have the right VPN adjustments for handeling larger cables... You should dig up it's manual and take a peek....

Otherwise - this megger CFL510F works well - it does take some interpetation, but IMO is better than a numeric model for fault finding... - But at 10X the cost.... $1700 I've used it - I like it - If my old shop were still scraping by I'd offer to come down and do it for you.... :roll: (Some liguidator has it now...)

dmagyar

Follow up on original TDR question

Follow up on original TDR question

I bought one of the more modest "distance to fault" TDR'S. It's a Psiber CT50. It gave me readings that were not quite as confidence inspiring as I was hoping for but I did find the underground fault at the first place I dug (total length 350' for the run). Next time in any similar situation I'm locating the u/g cable, cutting it to near the center of the run, then use a more normal divide and conquer procedure. When the cable fault was isolated and by cutting out the bad section and resplicing, then measured (by meggar)>1000 megohms to all conductors in both directions. A previous splice was the culprit, the factors involved were: a tight cable, that previous splice poured into concrete and ground movement did the rest.

e57

I have a post operational CT50 - same one, used it for years along with my old shops Megger waveform one - the later being the best of the two - since there are 'things' - you can 'see' that will factor into locating - like splices.... If it is a dead short on a run with out splices - the CT50 works great... Take reading from both ends and there you are... If there are other anololies the numeric models have some problems IMO.

Some time ago, I had a call to a place where there was a open on a 208 wye neutral - 3 other guys had been in there and said it needed to be replaced... I got called because I'm a little OCD... Technically... And found with the nemeric it gave some odd readings - from experiance it meant splices, but went back to the shop for the megger - and you could see all the splices... Pulled up the carpet to find a cut out in the sub-floor and a box with an abandon feeder tapped from it with a bad splice - saved customer at least 10K... And me a lot of embarasment if I went to re-pull it only to find a splice that wount pull through, or re-running conduit....

Otherwise the CT50 has it's uses... FWIW I have found stuff within inches on 200' runs with it.... But money is better spent on a waveform display model... JMSO.

Last edited:

nhfire77

I have the Cyber CT50. I have found it invaluable. It's not perfect and has limitations,but it makes me look like gold.

I had a fire alarm with an open NAC. No one could figure it out, I was he third guy to try. No as builts avaiable. It was a nursing home, 70,000 sq ft over two floors. I hooked up the TDR. The short was 10'. There was a closet behind the panel, behind the boxes in the closet, a NAC booster with low batteries.

The facilities manager said I had the golden touch, and all of his business. It's amazing more people don't troubleshoot in a manner like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.