NRTL credential check???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a first coming up. I have a company whose in the R&D phase of developing PV modules. They want to use them in a grid tied system. In order to do that they have to be listed per 110.2.
They want to bring a NRTL rep in to do a field listing. What credentials should they be able to provide. I've already checked the OSHA site and apparently they don't have UL1703 as one of the standards they're certified for which is a deal breaker. If he claims he can test for that how does he prove he's qualified???

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As a minor aside, 110.2 doesn?t actually require listing; it requires ?approval.? The FPN further refers to Art 100 for definitions of Approved, Identified, Labeled, and Listed. A careful reading of the definitions may lead to some surprises, especially Identified. Where the NEC requires various PV components to be listed is Section 680.4(D).

Technically, a NRTL certification only applies, where FedOSHA is enforcing the Code. Most other domestic jurisdictions will accept them, of course; but some accept additional laboratories. Depending on the target market, NRTL certification may not be necessary to the AHJ.

So, ?If he claims he can test for that how does he prove he's qualified???? Good question. Not to be facetious ? ask him; i.e., ask him to document what AHJ accepts his qualification to test the product and what is the scope of their jurisdiction.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
For example (and note the list isn't "exhaustive".)

Here in California, the Public Utilities Commission and Energy Commission are the de facto AHJ for solar powered systems and supersede ?local? jurisdictions for the PV system itself. Beyond, the effective service point or point of common connection, the local jurisdiction takes over again; i.e. the ?real? premises wiring.

Where it applies, this would also be consistent with the FedOSHA definition of Acceptable as a combination of sub-parts (2) and (3) since most PV industrial applications are ?custom‑made.? ( I love FedOSHA's interconnected definitions of Acceptable and Approved - it leaves absolutely no doubt who the AHJ is)

Of course other States and local jurisdictions can (and probably do) have other criteria; but the California list may give you a lead on your proposed NRTL?s qualifications.

As a minor aside, 110.2 doesn?t actually require listing; it requires ?approval.? [/COLOR]

You're absulutely correct on this. In the CA amendments they added the NRTL and OSHA language but that only applies to OSPD1-4 and not DSA(commercial) projects.

In order to qualify the agency doing the testing I required his credentials, a testing plan which includes the standard by which he is doing his testing, and reports showing the tests done and the results.

For this application they are testing Concentrated CPV modules and there is no "published" UL standard so they'll be testing to IEC 62108. As this is for a limited installation they will not be doing the full 9 month battery of testing that usually goes along with the above standard.

Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.