service entrance cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

finster1

What type of box store conductors can I use in a 2" conduit to the service head in aliminum? Can URD go into a conduit for service entry 4/0 200a?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What type of box store conductors can I use in a 2" conduit to the service head in aliminum? Can URD go into a conduit for service entry 4/0 200a?
Sure, 4/0 aluminum will fit in 2". URD cannot be used in the conduit according to art. 338.12(B). There are some underground use cables that are listed for above ground.

I assume residential here?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
URD is not a recognized NEC conductor and, if that the conductors only listing,it can not be used on NEC covered installations.
Any recognized (Art 310) conductor is permissible. In the case where you are using it with a outside weatherhead install, the conductor would also need to be sunlight resistant.
Most common here, in aluminum, is XHHW. Most of the USE cables I see also carry a RHW class insulation and they are sometimes used.
I've not seen THWN in aluminum, but it would be permissible.

kwired

Electron manager
URD is nothing more than multiple conductors twisted together. You need to look at the marking on the conductors to see what type conductor they are.

Most common sizes at supply house here are USE/RHW/RHH rated, which means they are rated for direct burial as well as indoors.

If they are marked USE only then they can not enter a building.

A few years back all they carried was the USE only type. Inspectors eventually realized this was wrong and started looking for it and enforcing it. Did not take long and supply houses started carrying dual rated stuff.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis, Most or the cable I have seen that folks called URD had other designations, but I have seen, at POCOs, reels that were marked "URD"
This site makes me think there is such an animal as "URD" (only) cable

http://prioritywire.com/specs/s-19.pdf

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may be right. It says at the bottom that the cable with the yellow stripe is XLP insulation. Either way I think the point has been made.

BTW, I wasn't challenging just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.