In-line fuses for E-Mon D-mon meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have a situation where I have installed 3 E-mon D-mons. These were supplied with a good size gear package. The instructions say in a couple places to install in-line fuses to power the meter.

* 1/10 A, 600 VAC inline fuse per conductor.
Littlefuse part number KLDR .100.
When I asked my gear supplier why I didn't get these in my package he said that no one has ever asked for them. Turns out with holder thats about $100 per meter. The owner of my company said not to worry about it.

Has anyone used the in-lines with these?

Here is a link to the install instructions.

chris kennedy

Occupation
These would be tap conductors, see 240.21(B).

I failed to mention that I installed a 3 pole 15A breaker as per the installation instructions. But it also calls for the 1/10thA 600V fuse.

We have installed fuse holders inside the panels.
Well there certainly isn't room in the meters wiring compartment for these.

iwire

Staff member
I failed to mention that I installed a 3 pole 15A breaker as per the installation instructions.

Oh, that changes things.:)

But it also calls for the 1/10thA 600V fuse.

Well I suspect that is to protect the board if there is a problem.

Well there certainly isn't room in the meters wiring compartment for these.

Nope.

I am waiting on the delivery of a Emon "MMU-8" which is one enclosure containing 8 Emon Demon.

By the way, if all three meters are near each other and monitor the same source you only have use one set of voltage leads and run them to each meter.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Well I suspect that is to protect the board if there is a problem.

And there are warranty issues. My fearless leader isn't going to spend $100 to meet conditions of warranty on a $300 meter.

I am waiting on the delivery of a Emon "MMU-8" which is one enclosure containing 8 Emon Demon.
Don't read the installation instructions unless you end up with left over parts. Only gets you in trouble with the boss.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Some manufactures apparently had problems, I know when I was re-commissioning some of the Square D meters for Wally world, Square D had me replace the fuses from the factory with a different size, I think it was a lower amperage or maybe fast blow if I remember right. Since they are printed circuit boards with 480 volts on them, it probably didn't take much to start a fire. So I think the $100 spent may save millions in a lawsuit when they ask you why you didn't install it per the directions. Even if the product was defective, the liability comes back on you.

jdsmith

I have a situation where I have installed 3 E-mon D-mons. These were supplied with a good size gear package. The instructions say in a couple places to install in-line fuses to power the meter.

When I asked my gear supplier why I didn't get these in my package he said that no one has ever asked for them. Turns out with holder thats about $100 per meter. The owner of my company said not to worry about it.

Has anyone used the in-lines with these?

Here is a link to the install instructions.

Since you already have a disconnect for service purposes then it's not worth the additional expense for a $300 meter. We use $2000 and $4000 meters and use external fuses on the control power input and PT inputs. Control power is typically protected by a Shawmut USCC2I class CC tilt-out fuseholder with 1A or 2A fast blow fuses (KTK-R or ATM-R). We use 1A Class J fast blow fuses on the PT inputs, again in the Shawmut fingersafe tilt-out holder. This gives us an easy disconnect for maintenance along with protection in one device - we've retrofitted older gear with this fusing arrangement and we order new gear and new 5 kV starters this way from the factory. These fuse holders tend to hold up better than the old pull out type.

jmargolis79

i have always installed inline fuses with this meter. i have never got them with the meter. I just got the inline crimp style fuses way less then $100 and the meter is still protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.