Rule for finding out a phases color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

I forget the rule for finding out how you find out which conductor is what color by division. Do you divide by six or something?

Can someone please explain?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the number divisible by 6 and the number before it is always the "C" phase. I always use the "C" phase as a reference and find the others in my head. For example on a BOY system take circuit #36, since it's divisible by 6 it's on the Yellow phase, so would be the number before 36, that would be #35 on the Yellow phase also. Some guys also use a system that incorporates the remainder of the division.

peter

1) If the number is odd, add 1 to it.
2) Divide by 6.
3) The remainder will be either 0, 2 or 4.
If 0, the color is black or brown.
If 2, the color is red or orange.
If 4, the color is blue or yellow.

I prefer 4.
If single phase, divide by 4.
0 is black.
2 is red.

~Peter

Dave58er

Yes, you start with dividing by six. After that guys do it a few different ways. I like to think of it as subtracting multiples of six, that way I can get to numbers that are easier for me.

Your base is the given that circuits 1&2 are A phase, 3&4 are B phase, and 5&6 are C phase.

If you divide by 6 and have a remainder of 1 or 2 its A phase, 3 or 4 is B etc.
As infinity said evenly divisible by 6 will be C phase.

The way I do it is eliminate numbers divisible by six that are lower than the circuit number and start that as zero. This can make the math easier in your head.
An example would be a dimmer panel that has over a hundred circuits. If you needed a color for #137 its easy to figure 6 can go into 120 evenly so subtract it and start over. 137-120=17. That's just over twelve so subtract that and you have 5. 5 = C phase

Status
Not open for further replies.