Irreversible Compression Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Link for examples (pics) for these types of bonding methods.

Burndy makes them but you need a special tool. Do a search for irreversible compression connectors

hygroundyghc.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
While it may be a bit extreme, exothermic welding also qualifies.

Although exothermic is pretty much irreversible, I don't think it qualifies as a compression connector.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Any connector that uses physical force to crush the connector into the conductor is an irreversible connection.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Any connector that uses physical force to crush the connector into the conductor is an irreversible connection.

Actually, Don, I would disagree. I would say it's only irreversible if the metals cold weld together. See this link for a descriptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding.

Especially the following quote: "electron microscope investigations of contact points reveal that an actual welding of the two surfaces takes place after which it is impossible to discern the former asperitic interface"

When I crimp a buchanan sleeve, there isn't enough pressure to weld the metals and we all know we can give the sleeve a few squeezes with the Kleins and remove the sleeve and separate the wires. On the other hand, I sawed open an used H-tap once and I couldn't tell where the conductor/tap interface was by visual inspection.

Just my opinion,

Mark

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mark,
You may have a point, but my understanding is that an "irreversible" connection is one that cannot be removed without damage and cannot be reused. A reversible one is one that you can remove from the conductor and reuse (set screw type).

That being said, I guess my real point is that there are compression connectors other than the H type that are irreversible, even using your definition.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Don, I don't know if there IS a right answer. The reason I cut open the H-tap in the first place was due to curiosity. I wondered why the very thin "flap" on the outside of the tap (it has a very thin area where you bend it over) didn't just fall off or easily peel off after it's crimped. When I cut it in half (cross-section), I found that this metal seemed to have joined to the rest of the tap and the conductors. That's when I started looking on the internet to see how this might work.

Just thinking.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.