GFCI on fence charger ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that if a fence charger is plugged in to an outdoor rec., it must be a GFCI rec. But does the NEC allow the charger to be wired direct without CFCI protection?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC rules concerning GFCI protection are all about receptacle outlets. If anything is hard wired, GFCI protection is not required. That said, it may still be a good idea to GFCI protect an item that is installed outdoors, such as your fence.

Welcome to the forum.

james_mcquade

Please, Please, Please don't wire it in direct.
I know someone who grabbed onto a fence wire while they were barefoot and in mud.
They have the scars to prove it.

If someone had not unplugged the fence box, they would have been killed.

regards,
James

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Please, Please, Please don't wire it in direct.
I know someone who grabbed onto a fence wire while they were barefoot and in mud.
They have the scars to prove it.

If someone had not unplugged the fence box, they would have been killed.

regards,
James

I'm not sure a GFCI receptacle would have helped. Actually, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have. (I'm assuming a fence charger means its for an "electric fence" - the kind intended to keep animals inside an area.)

An electric fence charger is going to be isolated from the 120V supply. Thus, if someone grabs the fence, the current will flow from the fence, through the person, and back to the charger through the ground.

However, on the input to the charger, the current will still be flowing through a normal supply circuit - from hot to neutral. There is no "ground fault" to be detected by the GFCI receptacle.

If the GFCI receptacle tripped every time contact was made with the fence, the fence probably wouldn't keep the animals in.

Steve

mcclary's electrical

I'm not sure a GFCI receptacle would have helped. Actually, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have. (I'm assuming a fence charger means its for an "electric fence" - the kind intended to keep animals inside an area.)

An electric fence charger is going to be isolated from the 120V supply. Thus, if someone grabs the fence, the current will flow from the fence, through the person, and back to the charger through the ground.

However, on the input to the charger, the current will still be flowing through a normal supply circuit - from hot to neutral. There is no "ground fault" to be detected by the GFCI receptacle.

If the GFCI receptacle tripped every time contact was made with the fence, the fence probably wouldn't keep the animals in.

Steve

I'm quite sure what he's referring to is the ability to unplug it,,,,,,not the GFI

iwire

Staff member
Well what are the chances someone is near the plug at the right time?:confused:

Besides I do not think a properly working electric fence can kill anyone.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm quite sure what he's referring to is the ability to unplug it,,,,,,not the GFI

How about a disconnect somewhere easy to spot?

Also, as far as the OP, why didn't the person just let go of the fence? They aren't energized continuously, they pulse at a rate of about once per second if not using a capacitor.

If they do use them, the pulse is only about 10 milliseconds long. After that it will take about a second or so to recharge the cap. Plenty of time to let go.

Razzap

I have my fence charger on a GFI, as well as a separate GFI for the water tank heater.
The fence GFI has never tripped on its own, and I test it at least once a month. I once got zapped by the fence while leaning on the water tank. My elbow touched the fence. Can't get better grounded than that!

iwire

Staff member
A single belt from a fence is an item of merriment for the onlookers.

Get stuck under a fence getting shocked every second, and you do eventually die. Its happened many times.

I will never say never, all sorts of odd things kill people but the only incidents I could find in the US where deaths involving fences run without a regulator / controller.

Perhaps the units are different where you are. :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The full voltage setting on the PEL fencers used out here will almost lay you out. You better not have a weak heart....

In Theory, I don't think contact with the DC voltage of the fence charger would trip the GFCI.

We have a lot of false trips on GFCIs due to lighting, (even in the dry) and the fence will go unprotected. the electric fence charger has an off/on switch on it and I see no other choice except to wire it direct.

Thanks to all replies .

old Electron.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
And don't ever think you have to touch the fence. A friend of mine was out bird hunting in a dewy medow one day and came up on one. He simply pointed at it to tell his son not to touch it and bang. He said the last thing he remembered before opening his eyes and seeing his son laughing his butt off, was seeing the arc jumping from the fence to his finger.

SG-1

And don't ever think you have to touch the fence. A friend of mine was out bird hunting in a dewy medow one day and came up on one. He simply pointed at it to tell his son not to touch it and bang. He said the last thing he remembered before opening his eyes and seeing his son laughing his butt off, was seeing the arc jumping from the fence to his finger.

Mine operates at 5KV. It will kill honeysuckle or any other plants that come near. It will numb your fingers & hurts bad. It is an intermediate size model.

Have a co-worker who relieved himself on one. He does not know exactly how long he was knocked out...:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.