GFCI Protection of Garbage Disposal Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks2000

OK, Sam. I hope Al shows up soon with his Ziggy-communicator thingy.

OhBoy.gif

Handlink_3.jpg

I liked that show!!!

Can someone clarify this for me:

I install 2 circuits, utilizing a 2 pole 15amp breaker and 14/3 wire, to feed a duplex receptacle under the kitchen sink of a home. The hot side yoke is removed, and the top half of the receptacle is connected to a single pole switch on the countertop. The top half of the receptacle feeds the garbage disposal, the lower half the dishwasher.

I've never been required to install a GFCI or GFI for this (actually, I don't think this would be possible the way I have described it). Are all the inspectors in the San Francisco Bay Area wrong?

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Can someone clarify this for me:

I install 2 circuits, utilizing a 2 pole 15amp breaker and 14/3 wire, to feed a duplex receptacle under the kitchen sink of a home. The hot side yoke is removed, and the top half of the receptacle is connected to a single pole switch on the countertop. The top half of the receptacle feeds the garbage disposal, the lower half the dishwasher.

I've never been required to install a GFCI or GFI for this (actually, I don't think this would be possible the way I have described it). Are all the inspectors in the San Francisco Bay Area wrong?

GFCI protection for dwelling unit kitchen receptacles is only required for receptacles that serve the counter top. (210.8(A)(6))

If the garbage disposal was connected to a wet bar sink not located in a dwelling unit kitchen then GFCI protection is required for all 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles installed within 6' of the edge of the wet bar sink. (210.8(A)(7))

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
GFCI protection for dwelling unit kitchen receptacles is only required for receptacles that serve the counter top. (210.8(A)(6))

If the garbage disposal was connected to a wet bar sink not located in a dwelling unit kitchen then GFCI protection is required for all 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles installed within 6' of the edge of the wet bar sink. (210.8(A)(7))

Chris

I agree with Chris (I usually do). I had heard talk that there was a proposal to change it since many wet bars had refers and you wouldn't want that tripping off, but I guess nothing has come of it as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.