Feeder wires run through panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyerinfl

Anyone see any problems in this scenario;

200A 3 phase 480v feeder, fed from the meter room. In the meter room is a fusible disconnect and the meter socket. The feeder conduit runs to a 200A main breaker panel.

The feeder was attached to the main breaker, then for an AIC issue another 200A disconnect with current limiting fuses was added next to the panel, and the feeder wires had to be re-routed through this new disconnect and back into the panel.

To accomplish this I put in (2) 2" offset nipples, polaris tapped the (3) phase conductors and routed them in and back out of the disconnect to refeed the panel.

Is there a reason that the feeder wires coming from the meter room disconnect aren't allowed to be routed through the panel on their way to the second 200A disconnect?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Any code references to support the situation?
More importantly where is it prohibited-- It is not. Look at 312.8 but read it all the way.

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm interested to know what you gained by installing (2) Fused Disconnects ahead of a Main Breaker as far as AIC Rating, and why this was required?

DARUSA

I'm interested to know what you gained by installing (2) Fused Disconnects ahead of a Main Breaker as far as AIC Rating, and why this was required?

In NYC is required that the firs 2 OP have to be fuses type , and then they allow the 3rd OP be a breaker type. Maybe that is the situation in this case!!!!

pete m.

then for an AIC issue another 200A disconnect with current limiting fuses was added next to the panel, and the feeder wires had to be re-routed through this new disconnect and back into the panel

Are the fuses utilized part of a tested/listed series combination? If they are not I would hope that the downstream MCCB's are of a passive design (and engineered in accordance with 240.86(A)) that would allow the fuse's current limiting capability time to work prior to the breaker attempting to interrupt the entire fault current.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.