Fan Shutdown/ Purge Etc....NEED HELP..when don't I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok I need a crash course on the wiring of these types of installation. I know there is power and fire alarm involved and I am aware of the sequence of operation but when monitoring, control, status etc is involved I am lost. I posted this question before and looked into what was suggested but it was minimal. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I NEED to know this. Thanks. I'll pay if anyone knows of a course online or book. I have NFPA

mcclary's electrical

Ok I need a crash course on the wiring of these types of installation. I know there is power and fire alarm involved and I am aware of the sequence of operation but when monitoring, control, status etc is involved I am lost. I posted this question before and looked into what was suggested but it was minimal. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I NEED to know this. Thanks. I'll pay if anyone knows of a course online or book. I have NFPA

What you're describing would almost certainly need to be wired and controlled by a PLC. It could be done hundreds of ways. The most common would be take a few "inputs" from the field and write a program to get the PLC to do what you want.Use the PLC "outputs" to control starters, solenoids or whatever you need. With the limited info given, I'm really not sure how to get into detail

nhfire77

Am I the only one wanting more info, I get your need to shut down in alarm, and there are smoke control fans, seperate application. Do you have a specific application in mind?

mcclary's electrical

Am I the only one wanting more info, I get your need to shut down in alarm, and there are smoke control fans, seperate application. Do you have a specific application in mind?

You're not alone,,,and that's why no one has responded, there simply is not enough info given to describe how it should be done

To the OP,,,please give more details

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, guys I will. I am just think of when I have read specs before and they have asked for the monitoring of statud and control for the dampers so you need either a control module and relayt or something like that. I will get a scenerio.....thanks

mcclary's electrical

Ok, guys I will. I am just think of when I have read specs before and they have asked for the monitoring of statud and control for the dampers so you need either a control module and relayt or something like that. I will get a scenerio.....thanks

The last thing I set up that controlled dampers used 90 degree mod motors. 0degrees was closed and 90 was full open. They operated off a 4-20 ma signal. The signal came from an output card in a SLC 500. The signal was dictated by 0-10 volt oxygen sensors to an input card

stevenj76

You might get off the hook, this is Division 23 electrical stuff, under the mechanical sub's scope.

You should be feeding 120V to the smoke dampers and 120V to the hvac control transformers, end of story.

Truthfully, if there is an existing smoke control system with pressurization around the fire and exhaust of the smoke, the owner and mech engineer need to be involved.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You might get off the hook, this is Division 23 electrical stuff, under the mechanical sub's scope.

You should be feeding 120V to the smoke dampers and 120V to the hvac control transformers, end of story.

Truthfully, if there is an existing smoke control system with pressurization around the fire and exhaust of the smoke, the owner and mech engineer need to be involved.

Ok, I thought there was 24v wiring pertaining the dampers. Thanks, I will look into this.

__dan

Banned
control specialties

control specialties

First thing to understand is when you're way in the deep end, there's lots of variables, design decisions, and liability for life safety system performance.

In a refuge area like a stairway you could have supply fans at the bottom and exhaust fans at the top. Both run at the same time on signal from the fire alarm system. Positive pressurization of the refuge area on signal.

In a rooftop AHU you could have separate supply and return fans in the same unit, or one fan with separate supply air, return air, mixed air dampers. On signal trip from the FA you might shut everything off or shut off supply air while running exhaust, smoke evac., negative pressurization of the smoke zone.

It's a potential nightmare for the wrong person, it's a specialty. IMO, a PE should supply sequence of operation at a minimum and/or wiring diagrams, signed and stamped, and pick up liability for operation. There are lots of ways to wire it wrong. I'm very sure most of the guys trying something like this are not grasping the subtleties, approaching this analytically, what happens when and why

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Look up Simplex Fire Alarm, then call them and all the rest of the fire alarm venders in your area. Do you have or need a Fire alarm lic. in your area? More than an electrical lic..
see _Dans' post.

Status
Not open for further replies.