Is drainage pipe allowed right over a panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

I was wondering if there's code dealing with drainage pipe being directly over a breaker panel, is this allowed? Is there a foot requirement for clearance, for drainage or supply lines over panels?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since you are an apprentice learning the trade, instead of a flat out answer I will point you to article 110.26, read all of the sections.

Roger

lunalilo

i might also be in a nother small minority, "people who can't find things" I just read the very large section of the NEC 2008, but all I keep seeing is "headroom clearance" "work clearance" "work area" but nothing specific about water supply lines and such.

Is this implying that as long as you have the work area clearance, water piping right above the panel is ok?

mcclary's electrical

i might also be in a nother small minority, "people who can't find things" I just read the very large section of the NEC 2008, but all I keep seeing is "headroom clearance" "work clearance" "work area" but nothing specific about water supply lines and such.

Is this implying that as long as you have the work area clearance, water piping right above the panel is ok?

I roughed in a house that I put (2) service panels in a studded wall. One of the bays had a 2" PVC plumbing drain above the panel in the same bay. The inspector stared at that pipe for over 10 minutes during inspection. He went back and forth to his truck twice looking at his book and calling someone.

What do you think happened?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a graphic of the dedicated space requirement:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

It's a very important number and you need to read it a few times more. He is doing you a favor by not telling you directly. Read it few more times then tell us your answer

Volta

I roughed in a house that I put (2) service panels in a studded wall. One of the bays had a 2" PVC plumbing drain above the panel in the same bay. The inspector stared at that pipe for over 10 minutes during inspection. He went back and forth to his truck twice looking at his book and calling someone.

What do you think happened?

He thoughtfully stroked his chin and accepted your interpretation of a "structural ceiling" as being a plane at the lower edges of the floor joists, thus finding that the drain line was above the Dedicated Equipment Space and everyone lived happily ever after? :)

lunalilo

Man, us po' folks can't tell you enough how much I love graphics! I must say, you guy respond so fast in this forum, you guys have to set records for timed responses.

lunalilo

So 6 feet is the magic number... it seems 3 feet and six feet are always the magic number, pretty interesting. At out community college, they always taught us to scan the article titles and sub titles to find what we need, but I guess in tthis case, "Foreign" equipment is what I needed.

Any interpretation is needed though...

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated
space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain
foreign systems, provided protection is installed to
avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation,
leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

where it states " provided protection is installed to avoid damage" how would one protect from a drain above the panel? Is this up for interpretation? Should we start building a roof for our panels now?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
worth noting that sprinkler pipes are alowed in the dedicated space
The sprinkler pipes are not permitted to be installed in the dedicated space. The rule in 110.26(F)(1)(c) permits sprinkler protection of the dedicated space, but requires the sprinkler piping to be in compliance with the rules in 110.26(F).

kwired

Electron manager
Note that there is still working clearance for panels installed outdoors but it does not say anything about dedicated space around outdoor equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.