Scrap-Wire Reality Poll... with the Poll!

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Scrap-Wire Reality Poll... with the Poll!

• Forget about it, and hope the homeowner never notices...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use those 3 pieces of scrap 6/3 Romexes and "junction-splice" away!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Ask the homeowner if you can finish when he gets back.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Go to that nearest place... 50 miles away.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

Taking into consideration what the NEC allows versus does not allow, answer the following scenario:

You are finishing a residential wiring job, the homeowners went on vacation for a month, and the tenants are moving in tomorrow.

You're late on the due date, over budget, and your planning on going to your son's final game of the season in a few hours... you need one last 50 foot run from the homeowners panel to their beautiful new stainless-steel range...

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I sure as thunder don't drive around with bite-sized chunks of 6-3 NM in the back, so I guess I'm driving to the supply house, kicking myself for not measuring the darned thing right on my first four trips. That's why I have a half-dozen chunks of 6-3 between 5 and 10 feet long in the barn, waiting to recycle.

Seriously, do we need a second thread like this? :roll:

pete m.

I would tell the owner that, unfortunately, they are gonna have to get a gas range because the POCO just informed me that they ran out of amps.

Pete

480sparky

Why wasn't the range circuit installed during rough-in? I could see where it wasn't if the run is short and the path is easily accessible (ie, the range is right above the panel in the basement). Otherwise, it's pee-poor planning.

If it's a change-order this late in the game, I have them sign the paperwork authorized the work, then I'm leaving for the ball game. I'll make arrangements to come back with the proper material at a later date.

My answer is "E".

Jim W in Tampa

Was very poor planning on your part. Had you simply misjudged the run and were 10 feet short i could see making 1 splice . Why should the customer get less of a perfect job because of your mistake ? I might tell customer of the problem and do this as a temporary fix and schedule to return and replace it with 1 piece and at no charge to him. Do you really want another electrician to laugh at your install if they see it ? Your not a handy man your an electrician. We all make mistakes sometimes and simply got to eat them. Last thing i would do is hope they dont see it. Matters not if supply house is a block away or 200 miles. You took the job knowing the distance.

WinZip

Was very poor planning on your part. Had you simply misjudged the run and were 10 feet short i could see making 1 splice . Why should the customer get less of a perfect job because of your mistake ? I might tell customer of the problem and do this as a temporary fix and schedule to return and replace it with 1 piece and at no charge to him. Do you really want another electrician to laugh at your install if they see it ? Your not a handy man your an electrician. We all make mistakes sometimes and simply got to eat them. Last thing i would do is hope they dont see it. Matters not if supply house is a block away or 200 miles. You took the job knowing the distance.

Well put , congrats

mxslick

I voted to go to the supply house.

This whole scrap wire thing is a Kobayashi Maru....can someone kill it please? :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.