Square D Control, what exactly is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi, I'm trying to find a part number/spec sheet for this control based only on the photo (site is 3 hours away), and figure one of you guys might recognize it right away. I thought it was a manual motor starter but there is already a starter associated with that pump.
thanks a bunch!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It is not a manual starter.

It is definitely magnetic, after that it is any ones guess. Single phase and three phase Size 00, 0, and 1 all use the same enclosure and cover mounted pushbutton assembly.

BrianMuir

Hmm, very interesting.
I am looking into this because the owner is having problems with the pool pump shutting down after a brief power outage, no one realizes this, and then the chlorine level goes out of wack. I'm thinking of adding a time delay relay to help accomplish this.

Next time I visit there I will poke around and figure what is going on. Thanks for the help.

growler

Hi, I'm trying to find a part number/spec sheet for this control based only on the photo (site is 3 hours away), and figure one of you guys might recognize it right away. I thought it was a manual motor starter but there is already a starter associated with that pump.
thanks a bunch!

Jim is right and that is a magnetic starter and it is all in one unit with stop, start and reset but there could be a remote stop and start location but I don't see and additional conduit in the photo.

kwired

Electron manager
Hmm, very interesting.
I am looking into this because the owner is having problems with the pool pump shutting down after a brief power outage, no one realizes this, and then the chlorine level goes out of wack. I'm thinking of adding a time delay relay to help accomplish this.

Next time I visit there I will poke around and figure what is going on. Thanks for the help.

It is probably 3 wire start-stop with an aux holding circuit, any time power is lost the coil will drop out and will need to be restarted. Changing to a simple two wire on-off control switch will automatically restart upon power returning.

If you wish to remove the start-stop switches Square does make a filler plate that fits that opening or you can fabricate your own.

Last edited:

BrianMuir

It turns out that there is a voltage monitor in this circuit controlling a contactor on the 3 phase supply to the pump. I haven't checked but I bet an auxiliary contact on that guy forms part of the holding circuit.

My theory is that the monitor detects a power fluctuation, opens the contactor, which kills the holding circuit. The control in use requires a manual button push to get things rolling again.

Solution appear to be as suggested, to replace control with simple on/off. I am leaning towards adding a time delay relay into the mix to let the power settle out as these things come in waves. The power quality is quite poor in this location by the way.

Thanks for the great input!

kwired

Electron manager
Have lyou had POCO investigate the voltage problems. Where I live we used to have frequent drops for just an instant, often at about same time every day. A few years ago we had a major ice storm that took down a lot of lines. After everything was back up the problem went away. I'm guessing that they maybe had a weak connection someplace and fixed it when putting lines back up. A major load that started at same time everyday could have been the reason for the dropout at same time each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.