wiring a shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot wire

I know ive seen them before a small panel you would put in a shed maybe 60 amps. cant find one 6 or 8 ckts. and the question was the wire i see at lowes 4-4-4 -2 twisted together cant find the insluation type was wondering if you cant pull it under ground in conduit..thanks

480sparky

I know ive seen them before a small panel you would put in a shed maybe 60 amps. cant find one 6 or 8 ckts. and the question was the wire i see at lowes 4-4-4 -2 twisted together cant find the insluation type was wondering if you cant pull it under ground in conduit..thanks

It's called URD, and it's not NEC recognized.

USE-1.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
It's called URD, and it's not NEC recognized.

USE-1.jpg
The entire assembly is not NEC recognized but the individual conductors may be. Most are USE conductors and some are dual rated USE/RHW, the latter is permitted to enter buildings because of the RHW rating.

hot wire

I was looking 4 a small panel im going to a supply house lowes didnt have one.and looking for something cheaper than uf to feed it with. uf gets high dollar when you get wire that big.

stew

i use this cable all the time for underground installs. As a matter of fact orange does not stock here so I always get it at lowes. It is my cable of choice either direct burial or in pipe for any type of outbuilding.

Spazstic

The entire assembly is not NEC recognized but the individual conductors may be. Most are USE conductors and some are dual rated USE/RHW, the latter is permitted to enter buildings because of the RHW rating.

Secondary UD and RHH/RHW/USE are not the same. They do have a similar insulation but the aluminum conductors are different materials. The UD uses a 1350 series that is not allowed inside the building or dwelling per the NEC. The USE has a 8000 series that is approved for inside.

kwired

Electron manager
Secondary UD and RHH/RHW/USE are not the same. They do have a similar insulation but the aluminum conductors are different materials. The UD uses a 1350 series that is not allowed inside the building or dwelling per the NEC. The USE has a 8000 series that is approved for inside.

The insulation is not approved for indoors either unless it is of a RHH/RHW type. What you are talking about is USE only with no other rating.

What is sold at big box stores is most likely acceptable for use in buildings, they tend to not sell the other types because they will get a lot of complaints from the people that get it turned down by inspectors. If there are locations selling the stuff that is not dual rated they probably do not have inspectors that enforce this rule in the area.

We used to have a similar situation around here years ago with supply houses not stocking 6 and 8 in green and white. People always marked them just like they did larger conductors. When inspectors started to make people change them where needed they eventually started stocking them.

Wire and cable companies can make just about anything, suppliers usually only carry what sells the most. They can special order but you usually need to buy larger quantities and not shorter cut lengths.

kwired

Electron manager
why dont you just grab a 100 amp panel and put a 60 amp back fed breaker in it for your disco? the 2224 is really good for this application in my opinion.

As long as the feeder breaker is 60 amps he can put in a 2000 amp main breaker panel and still be ok. Panel may be worth a lot more than the shed though:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.