Shower vapour proof lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricguy

I have to quote a bathroom renovation. Customer wants 2 vapour proof recessed lights in a new steam shower area. Any idea who makes these they will have to be IC type and hopefully match 2 dry type in the main bathroom area.

this is the link to the steam shower unit.

http://www.thermasol.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=215&mItem=2
I cant seem to find the CSA listing mark on the site.

I assume any electrical control has to follow CEC rules . Customer thinks this can be place in the shower smile but looking at the site there seems to be a remote control assembly that can be mounted in the shower and the main LV control is mounted away from reach.

He wants to install this steam unit in a closet. the shower is on other side of the closet wall.not sure if we can have electrical equip in this cloths closet in the bedroom.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A standard recessed can with shower trim will work. What's with the vapor proof stuff. We do these all the time and that's all I ever use.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes you can have electrical equip. in a clothes closet. You can't have circuit breakers in the closet. I just did one like this a few months ago.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Doug that like is the same question. Not sure what you are trying to say. I realize you are from Canada but in the USA a standard can with shower trim will suffice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I will wait for a reply from the one poster at the other site he is an AHJ, But he did mention that a standard recessed light wouldn't be acceptable in this location.

I would love to know why. I just did a search of the NEC CD and vapor proof does not even show up in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.