Work pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

Okay, I have EH rated footwear, I use leather sheathed gloves, I have insulated tooling. I was considering a 4' X 4' insulated pad for the extra piece of mind.

Now I know this question all concerns on just what I am working on, but I was looking for opinions on a vendor.

Any of you guys use a "throw rug/pad" to stand on for an extra peace of mind?

I want a 4' X 4' or 6' pad to work on. Just asking all of you, where are you getting them from?

Do you even bother using them for online work?????? I want to get a pad, shoot, that won't take up much space in the truck.

Doesn't matter if I am doing resi riverside, or commercial/industrial, I want to buy a pad. You blokes have any opinions????????????

PetrosA

I don't have a pad/mat, but I have some of the high voltage blanket that the utility guys get on rolls. It's a lot lighter than a rubber voltage mat, and yes, I use it. Aside from when I'm working on a live meter can, I use it in flower beds, mud, even on granite counter tops (non-slip) - anywhere where a tarp or drop cloth is too light.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't have a pad/mat, but I have some of the high voltage blanket that the utility guys get on rolls. It's a lot lighter than a rubber voltage mat, and yes, I use it. Aside from when I'm working on a live meter can, I use it in flower beds, mud, even on granite counter tops (non-slip) - anywhere where a tarp or drop cloth is too light.

I have one of those also and use for many of the same things.

zog

Okay, I have EH rated footwear, I use leather sheathed gloves, I have insulated tooling. I was considering a 4' X 4' insulated pad for the extra piece of mind.

Now I know this question all concerns on just what I am working on, but I was looking for opinions on a vendor.

Any of you guys use a "throw rug/pad" to stand on for an extra peace of mind?

I want a 4' X 4' or 6' pad to work on. Just asking all of you, where are you getting them from?

Do you even bother using them for online work?????? I want to get a pad, shoot, that won't take up much space in the truck.

Doesn't matter if I am doing resi riverside, or commercial/industrial, I want to buy a pad. You blokes have any opinions????????????

No standard requires the use of a rubber mat to stand on, and for a reason, they are too much of a variable. The real thing you should be concerned about is why are you working on energized equipment?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I didn't see any arc flash PPE in your list. Everything was for voltage protection. In the rare cases when you are permitted to work on energized equipment, you will need arc flash protection in addition to the shock protection.

TxEngr

We use insulated mat in front of all of our switchgear and MCCs. This provides an additional level of protection but also provides a more comfortable place to stand when performing troubleshooting, etc. It also provides a softer landing point for dropped parts so they don’t tend to bounce as far as on concrete – a nice additional benefit.

We’ve been buying the 36” x 75’ rolls of mat from Wearwell. It's rated for 30KV and they hold up very well. The only issue we have is when we have roll out breakers – we have to take up the mat to roll the breaker out easily. Here's a link: http://www.wearwell.com/Non-Conductive/ASTM-Spec/Corrugated-Switchboard.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.