Do Inspectors have 2 modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

Whenever we do a pre-inspection which is usually "what we can hide" (please I just work for the guy), my boss is always pointing out that we shouldn't "set the inspector off" and put him in "search mode". Any Inspectors wanna comment if this is true, cause I kinda don't get it...

bphgravity

What your boss is indicating is the practice of mutual respect. That is, you will only only get as much cooperation out of your inspector that you are willing to give him.

As a contractor / electrician, you can choose to have open and good communication with your inspector, you can disclose issues or problems you are encountering and be honest, you can be courteous to the inspector by providing ladders, good lighting, ready access for inspections, you get the idea. Hopefully in return, you will get an inspector that will give you the benefit of the doubt, that will work with your schedule and needs, will be open and a good communicator, you get the idea.

OR, you can establish a relationship of distrust and frustration that tends to more rejections, a lack of cooperation, and poor or no communication at all, you get the idea.

Everything in life is cause and effect. 90% of inspector and contractor conflict is EGO driven. Like any other relationship, it takes work and time. You have to be willing to do the right thing even when your co-workers, boss, and even inspector don't.

inspector 102

I agree with Mr. Holland that the respect is passed both directions. I recall one of my first inspections 20 years ago when I told the electrician that his job failed and when asked why, I answered that I was not really sure what I was looking at. Because of my honesty, he took about 1/2 hour and went over the installation and ever since we have gotten along great. If a contractor displays work that in constantly pushing the limits of code compliance, I am going to look all that much closer at everything they do. If a contractor does quality installations as the normal, I will look for the one violation and rub it in if a can find it. It almost becomes a game of "Where's Waldo" at that point.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Mr. Holland that the respect is passed both directions. I recall one of my first inspections 20 years ago when I told the electrician that his job failed and when asked why, I answered that I was not really sure what I was looking at. Because of my honesty, he took about 1/2 hour and went over the installation and ever since we have gotten along great. If a contractor displays work that in constantly pushing the limits of code compliance, I am going to look all that much closer at everything they do. If a contractor does quality installations as the normal, I will look for the one violation and rub it in if a can find it. It almost becomes a game of "Where's Waldo" at that point.

I love that game! When the job is approching perfect and the contractor is good natured, it's always fun to see if you can find that one obscure mistake that he might have made.

One thing I don't like is when you show up on a job and you start running into a bunch of locked doors and no one seems to have the key. Or when you show up and no one seems to know why you're there including the electrician (that's not usually the EC's fault).

Nothing starts off a job better for me than "hi John, good to see you again." We're both there to do a job and we both like it when the other thinks we're doing a good one.:)

construct

Unfortunately, a few rogue inspectors (for lack of better terminology) set the perception for all inspectors. I agree with the other inspectors who have replied to this post.

When I work with a contractor for the first time, I try to convey to them three things about me:

1. I don't have the need or desire to impress you with what I think I know.
2. The authority granted me by the adoption of codes in my jurisdiction is not permission for me to turn my position into a powerplay or an ego trip. (Personally, I don't care for the drama and brain damage associated with that)
3. If I can do something to help the contractor get thru the process easier, I get thru it easier also.

In summary:
I have learned a great deal from contractors over the years........I don't know it all. If the code with any amendments does not require it, I don't require it. Inspectors should set aside there personal agendas and insecurities. Require compliance as written and adopted only. This is simply a job you were hired to do.
I have a good relationship with the contractors I work with because I treat them with respect and recognize there integrity. There are always exceptions, but, for the most part, these contractors have worked hard to become knowledegable and the best they can be in there trade. If you think I am wrong about a code requirement, show me, I'm not perfect. Together, the contractor and inspector's goal is to insure a safe and long-lived installation for the consumer. Others will have different opinions but that is my code of ethics in "my job".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately, a few rogue inspectors (for lack of better terminology) set the perception for all inspectors.
That works both ways, too. I don't want an inspector to think all electricians are (insert expletive of choice here) just as much.

RICK NAPIER

Four things put me in the "search mode".

1) Contractor's with a long history of multiple code violations.
2) Multiple violations readily seen makes me wonder what I am not seeing.
3) Violations that there was an obvious attempt to hide. My favorites was a homeowner that gutted his home than rewired it. When I went to do the rough inspection there were scrap peices of plywood nailed randomly throughout the house. Behind each peice were open electrical splices. The homeowner told me he didn't think I would see them. Or the electricians who have said "I told them you would still see that". This has happened more than once.
4) Contractors that tell me "it doesn't matter what the code says as long as we know it's OK"

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Four things put me in the "search mode".

1) Contractor's with a long history of multiple code violations.
2) Multiple violations readily seen makes me wonder what I am not seeing.
3) Violations that there was an obvious attempt to hide. My favorites was a homeowner that gutted his home than rewired it. When I went to do the rough inspection there were scrap peices of plywood nailed randomly throughout the house. Behind each peice were open electrical splices. The homeowner told me he didn't think I would see them. Or the electricians who have said "I told them you would still see that". This has happened more than once.
4) Contractors that tell me "it doesn't matter what the code says as long as we know it's OK"

YES to your number 2. Walk in the door standing there saying hello and you notice 4 corrections and you haven't even moved yet, ask the contractor if he's sure he's ready and he say's yep.

And very well said construct.

"Just when you think that you are someone of great importance, try ordering someone elses dog around."

hotwire1955

Unfortunately, a few rogue inspectors (for lack of better terminology) set the perception for all inspectors. I agree with the other inspectors who have replied to this post.

When I work with a contractor for the first time, I try to convey to them three things about me:

1. I don't have the need or desire to impress you with what I think I know.
2. The authority granted me by the adoption of codes in my jurisdiction is not permission for me to turn my position into a powerplay or an ego trip. (Personally, I don't care for the drama and brain damage associated with that)
3. If I can do something to help the contractor get thru the process easier, I get thru it easier also.

In summary:
I have learned a great deal from contractors over the years........I don't know it all. If the code with any amendments does not require it, I don't require it. Inspectors should set aside there personal agendas and insecurities. Require compliance as written and adopted only. This is simply a job you were hired to do.
I have a good relationship with the contractors I work with because I treat them with respect and recognize there integrity. There are always exceptions, but, for the most part, these contractors have worked hard to become knowledegable and the best they can be in there trade. If you think I am wrong about a code requirement, show me, I'm not perfect. Together, the contractor and inspector's goal is to insure a safe and long-lived installation for the consumer. Others will have different opinions but that is my code of ethics in "my job".

Well said, I'm an inspector in NJ and there are times I have been wrong and have been corrected by the contractor,no hard feelings If you show respect you get respect in return (most times anyway) this is a great site and thanks to all the well educated elect. professionals

kbsparky

On some federal projects, we learned to leave something obvious for the inspector to find.

This ensured that he can justify his existence, and kept him from going on a fishing expedition looking for something else to get us on.

Of course, this was the exception, as we were dealing with the epitome of bureaucracy. :roll:

lunalilo

On some federal projects, we learned to leave something obvious for the inspector to find.

This ensured that he can justify his existence, and kept him from going on a fishing expedition looking for something else to get us on.

OMG. And I thought my boss just was crazy, I guess it's a common practice?

480sparky

On some federal projects, we learned to leave something obvious for the inspector to find....

OMG. And I thought my boss just was crazy, I guess it's a common practice?

Absotively posilutely. Some inspectors just cannot be satisfied unless they find some sort of violation. If they walk onto a job that has no violations, they will invent one. Giving 'em something to find makes them feel like they're doing their job. Even if it is something simple like a missing 4S cover or open ground on a recep.

One-eyed Jack

Of course, this was the exception, as we were dealing with the epitome of bureaucracy. :roll:

I have spent 24 years working as an EC and 18yrs as an Inspector. I don't treat the EC like an idiot. I don't need to justify my existence,the State of NC did that for me in 1985. After all this time on both sides and the knowlege that I have gained from this site alone I can safely say NO job is without violations. All that you leave for me "to find" are just extra that you have to fix. Fishing is not necessary." Ref. another quote" Code violations are NOT made up, they are discovered because you left them there. Don't treat me like a fool and I won't show you THE FOOL. Can I find any and all,absolutely not. Yeah I was a little offended to have to "JUSTIFY MY EXISTENCE"

Jim W in Tampa

Absotively posilutely. Some inspectors just cannot be satisfied unless they find some sort of violation. If they walk onto a job that has no violations, they will invent one. Giving 'em something to find makes them feel like they're doing their job. Even if it is something simple like a missing 4S cover or open ground on a recep.

I have never needed to do that. Show them a nice job with no issues and most are happy that the only paper work is to sign you off. Also helps on next job because they know you try to follow code. Have had very few inspectors that acted less than profession. Some times they actually help you by finding something you missed.

hotwire1955

Do you think an open ground on a recep.is simple and should be overlooked ? I don't

wawireguy

Basicly if you're a bunch of hacks then you need to worry about the inspector. I like the inspectors and enjoy working with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.