MC Cable used outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybwolf

I noticed an install done today where mc cable was used outside under a canvas awning to supply fluorescent strip fixtures on a store front. I never seen ,or should I say, I never noticed mc be used outside like this.
I checked the NEC thinking that I would find something prohibiting such use but came across this section- 330.10(A)(3) which says mc can be used outside.
Does this apply to regular ordinary mc used to rough in an interior or is there a certain type of mc that is listed for outside use?

Volta

Regular MC should be ok in an outside location covered as you described, as in, not wet.

If a wet location, then it must comply with 330.10(11). Last cycle (2005), the corrosion-resistant jacket in 310.10(11)(c) was not needed.

chevyx92

I noticed an install done today where mc cable was used outside under a canvas awning to supply fluorescent strip fixtures on a store front. I never seen ,or should I say, I never noticed mc be used outside like this.
I checked the NEC thinking that I would find something prohibiting such use but came across this section- 330.10(A)(3) which says mc can be used outside.
Does this apply to regular ordinary mc used to rough in an interior or is there a certain type of mc that is listed for outside use?

The MC Cable itself can be outside but it can't terminate outside as the listed mc connectors say "DRY ONLY".

hybwolf

So it would be a violation of 110.3(B) if the mc was terminated it the fixtures outside.

This makes sense. Like I said originally, I never seen this done before and it never occurred to me to even attempt it. I would have used non metallic flex.

As far as I am aware (I do not have my White Book here), standard MC cable that is commonly installed is not permitted to be installed in wet or damp locations. Typically we see "Parking Deck" MC cable installed outdoors. This cable has a nonmetallic covering over the metallic sheath. I will look later at the UL White Book, or some manufacturers sites to verify this.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You guys need to read 330.10 again. MC can be used outdoors, wet (if conductors so rated), and direct buried (if cable so rated).

Hendrix

As far as I am aware (I do not have my White Book here), standard MC cable that is commonly installed is not permitted to be installed in wet or damp locations. Typically we see "Parking Deck" MC cable installed outdoors. This cable has a nonmetallic covering over the metallic sheath. I will look later at the UL White Book, or some manufacturers sites to verify this.

KAF-TEC Parking deck/lot cable part # 2304-42-00

Volta

You guys need to read 330.10 again. MC can be used outdoors, wet (if conductors so rated), and direct buried (if cable so rated).

Larry, in the 2008 book they added a sentance segment to 330.10(A)(11)c.

It now reads
The insulated conductors under the metallic covering are listed for use in wet locations and a corrosion-resistant jacket is provided over the metallic sheath.

Status
Not open for further replies.