Light fixtures in food prep areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbishop7

I've always been told that there are regulations to light fixtures in commercial kitchen and other food prep areas. What regulates this? I can't find anything in the NEC.

Examples are that these fixtures have to be enclosed and gasketed and shatterproof. Not sure where these regulations are called out.

Any ideas??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've always been told that there are regulations to light fixtures in commercial kitchen and other food prep areas. What regulates this? I can't find anything in the NEC.

Examples are that these fixtures have to be enclosed and gasketed and shatterproof. Not sure where these regulations are called out.

Any ideas??

I believe it is the dept of health.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Any ideas??

Off the top of my head, NFPA 96.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Food Prep

Food Prep

From what I've seen, it is the Health Dept that rules in food prep. Something like "shatterproof"...no exposed lamps...50 fc on work surfaces

cbishop7

NFPA 96 refers to light fixtures in hoods in cooking areas, but a good thought.

Looking into heath dept. standards, I am guessing this will be a state health code or is there a national health code to look into as well.

Thanks for the help thus far!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is the FDA

FDA REGULATION
Regulation issued from Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Food and Drug Administration; Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Part 128, Title 21 ? ?Light bulbs, fixtures, skylights, or other glass suspended over exposed food in any step of preparation shall be of the safety type or otherwise protected to prevent food contamination in case of breakage."

U. S. DEPARTMENT
OF AGRICULTURE
All meat-packing plants under our inspection service are required to have protection for fluorescent tubes, which are chemically acceptable.

mcclary's electrical

All good advise, especially about contacting the health department. We're doing a bakery right now and I just had a phone conversation with the department of health on this exact issue. In addition to mentioned above, they also must be washable. By that I don't mean rated to be directly sprayed with hose, but they do need to be able to be cleaned with water and scrubbing. I got clearcut answers on my first phone call, so you can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.