Class 1 Div 2 Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Taylor

I am looking to use a connector on a Z-purged panel in a Class 1 Div 2 area.
The signals are all 24 Vdc or lower (RTD's, NAMUR proximity sensors, and thermostat contacts). NEC code 501.105 (B) 6 - appears to apply to this situation allowing me to use a non hazardous rated connector. Although item 3 of this section states : The power supply cord does not exceed 3 ft. Would these low level signals be considered the power supply cord ? - hence be limited to 3 ft ? (note I am using Class 1 Div 1 multiconductor cable to a field junction box which has the sensors wire to terminals) the cable will be hardwired into the junction box about 30' away.

I am looking to use a connector on a Z-purged panel in a Class 1 Div 2 area.
The signals are all 24 Vdc or lower (RTD's, NAMUR proximity sensors, and thermostat contacts). NEC code 501.105 (B) 6 - appears to apply to this situation allowing me to use a non hazardous rated connector. Although item 3 of this section states : The power supply cord does not exceed 3 ft. Would these low level signals be considered the power supply cord ? - hence be limited to 3 ft ? (note I am using Class 1 Div 1 multiconductor cable to a field junction box which has the sensors wire to terminals) the cable will be hardwired into the junction box about 30' away.

I trying, but your question - if there is any -seem to elude me.

What does the purged enclosure has to do with the connectors located 30' away?
The NEC paragraph requires ALL conditions to be met.
What does the fact of Cl.I, Div. 1 cable has to do with the whole issue?
Where are the connectors to be located? On the purged enclosure wall? At the individual instruments?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.