How Can I Determine Ambient Temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

The NEC talks about ambient temperature and derating, but where does the NEC clarify how I determine the ambient temperature?

I dont have NEC book to tell you clearly but if I am not wrong NEC cable is abased on 30 degree and abient temperatur factor for 30 degree is 1. For derating there is clear table factor. It applies in the number of cable increases more than 3.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC talks about ambient temperature and derating, but where does the NEC clarify how I determine the ambient temperature?
Good luck. Apparently there is a chart that supposedly gives an ambient temp. for different areas of the country. I have no idea where it is or if it is even pertinent to the NEC.

What is ambient temp. The nec does not define it. The ambient temp during the summer is much different than in the winter. Do we use the average or the hottest month? If we have one day out the year that the temps reach 140 in an attic do we use that? You will not find the answers to those questions.

For the most part the ambient temp is not looked at for residential work but may be enforced in commercial areas where the know temp. of certain rooms is very high.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . NEC cable is based on 30 degree and ambient temperature factor for 30 degree is 1.
True, but not relevant to the question. He wants to know what temperature to use, such as whether he can use 30C, or whether he needs to use 35C or some other number, based on the location of the project.

I agree with Dennis, that the NEC does not tell us how to select a temperature. My opinion is that we should use the year-round average. But that has been debated here a time or two, and my opinion is not shared by many members.
It applies in the number of cable increases more than 3.
That is not true. Derating a cable because it is installed in a hot area is a completely different thing than derating a cable because there are too many other conductors in the same conduit. A given installation might require one derating factor or the other, or it might require both, but they are handled separately.

You found the answer. I am just posting this in case you have not seen the footprint note on table 310.15(b)(2)(c) where ASHRAE is referred to.

Volta

Thanks for posting that link. I asked our local building department a couple years ago, and they said 90 deg F, which seemed low to me, and I usually go with 100, nice to see it noted roughly both ways.

necnotevenclose

DAMN you guys are good! I want to buy you guys a round!

So if the list does not include your city do you think the inspector will be fine with 75-deg c...:roll:

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

True, but not ----

That is not true. Derating a cable because it is installed in a hot area is a completely different thing than derating a cable because there are too many ----.

Charli: thanks for explaination and it is really another new issue for me because I was not aware or faced such a situation.

wawireguy

I just use common sense. If I'm installing something on a black roof top I figure it's going to get hot in the summer so take a guess and derate accordingly. If you're in AZ and you'r putting stuff on a black roof top it's gonna get damn hot so better add in a little more for temp.

iwire

Staff member
I just use common sense. If I'm installing something on a black roof top I figure it's going to get hot in the summer so take a guess and derate accordingly. If you're in AZ and you'r putting stuff on a black roof top it's gonna get damn hot so better add in a little more for temp.

That is now required, see 310.15(B)(2)(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.