Communication in Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm agreeing with 3-way. Anything else is over thinking it, (which is fun, and easy to do as we can only see what the close up picture shows).

But standing in front of that openning, with my tools, I'll think "3-way" and look around for the mate. I'll check the operation of the switching before I finish the mount to the box.

Can be a pain if the house has complicated switching and there are no job site electrical as-wired diagrams or prints.

satcom

Whatever the blue prints call for.

Funny how things change over the years, we work in many older homes, some built in the early 20's and in most of them, you can find the original electrical plans, in the attic, usually under the floor boards.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
But the suspense is killing me- what did it turn out to be?
A single pole.

I would put a piece of cardboard reading what the hell is this on it and move on to the next abortion.
The funny thing is, the guy that did this was the first foreman I ever worked for upon entering the trade. I was kinda shocked and dismayed that he was ignoring such a fundamental rule of productivity - make it up so that the next guy does not have to think.

Where we both used to work, the standing rule was to assume that the rough crew knew what they were doing; never second-guess; trim the wires as they are configured and wait for the hot check to start troubleshooting.

This was clearly marked as a threeway, and the only thing that indicated it was a single pole was that it appeared to control a walk-in closet light. The only thing that stopped me from trimming it out that way is that I had already "screwed up" and installed threeways where it wasn't so clear that they were really single poles in disguise, and been caught.

My thought in starting this thread is not to pick on that guy, he owns that company, he can do whatever he wants. My thought was to bring light to the fact that this may be going on at your company, and potentially costing you time and money.

Whatever the blue prints call for.
I don't know, I worked on a couple of his jobs last week and I didn't see so much as a cocktail napkin sketch while I was there.

mcclary's electrical

A single pole.

The funny thing is, the guy that did this was the first foreman I ever worked for upon entering the trade. I was kinda shocked and dismayed that he was ignoring such a fundamental rule of productivity - make it up so that the next guy does not have to think.

Where we both used to work, the standing rule was to assume that the rough crew knew what they were doing; never second-guess; trim the wires as they are configured and wait for the hot check to start troubleshooting.

This was clearly marked as a threeway, and the only thing that indicated it was a single pole was that it appeared to control a walk-in closet light. The only thing that stopped me from trimming it out that way is that I had already "screwed up" and installed threeways where it wasn't so clear that they were really single poles in disguise, and been caught.

My thought in starting this thread is not to pick on that guy, he owns that company, he can do whatever he wants. My thought was to bring light to the fact that this may be going on at your company, and potentially costing you time and money.

I don't know, I worked on a couple of his jobs last week and I didn't see so much as a cocktail napkin sketch while I was there.

That's funny!! When I answered the first time,,,,I ALMOST typed "Sure as heck no that single pole hanging there!"

but I changed my mind and worded it different

satcom

A single pole.

My thought was to bring light to the fact that this may be going on at your company, and potentially costing you time and money.

I learned early on, the companies that supplied good prints with jobs, were always the better companies to work for.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We did a bunch of apts. and I had the guys stand and watch as I showed how a 3w was to be left. How gfi was left, etc.. Cut way down on trim when all 12 of us knew what was in front of us, no print needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.