tough terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I havn't tried it, but I have heard driving the ground rod through a cup of water lubricates it, making it easier. I use an electric jack hammer with a ground rod driver attachment.

mcclary's electrical

I'm with hillbilly, I use power tools. If not available, get a bigger hammer. I would imagine a 16# sledge would go through rock or bend the rod.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does anybody have any tips on driving ground rods with a sledge hammer in tough ground.
Use a fence-post driver until it hits the ground, then switch to the sledge.

181593_300.jpg

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech

181593_300.jpg
That is a great idea! I did some volunteer work at a charter school about a year ago running feeders to portable buildings and we had to drive all the rods with sledge hammers. I wish I had thought of that then, I had one of those things sitting in my shed the entire time I was cursing the lack of a hammer drill with a ground rod driver.

mcclary's electrical

181593_300.jpg

Larry, I have one I made out of two pieces of heavy pipe with a weight in the end of the top one. One pipe fits over the other pipe and slides up and down. The inner pipe fits the rod and the outer pipe slides over it. It works great, but I haven't used it in years. Ericko makes something like it.

mcclary's electrical

I hated doing that. Hit my knee and wrist so many times, lots of rock around here.:mad:

At least you didn't do like My Dad did when I was a kid.

He was using a homemade driver similar to the one in Larry's post, he raised it up too far on the up stroke and it came off the rod, he didn't realize it until he had already commited to the downstroke. He drove the 5/8" ground rod THROUGH his left hand. Right in the center of the palm

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Cut the wooden handle off a sledgehammer. Weld a 3/4 pipe handle back on it. Now you have a ground rod driver/sledgehammer.

I still prefer the Hilti though when I have power available.

pitkas

I start off with a 6 foot ladder. Put the ground rod through the hammer hole and hammer away. As it goes down, move the ladder so the rod goes through the rungs that you don't stand on. This will stabilize the rod as you are pounding it. Or, you can have somebody with a bender stabilize it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Get an adapter for a roto-hammer. hang or stand on the handle. A larger, 3/4" or 1" rod will drive better.
My army grounding manual mentions that C-4 explosive can be used in frozen ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.