Fire Rated Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I know this is not an NEC issue but I need some help here. I have a single family dwelling that has living space above a three car garage. The garage has the typical ceiling devices, lights, garage door opener recepts, etc. What do I need to do besides using the normal 2 hour rated device boxes to maintain the integrity of the ceiling?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Would adding recessed cans change the picture? I've seen cans installed in multi family dwellings where you have the cans boxed in by sheetrock barriers between the first and second floors.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes you would need to box in the fixture or use an approved prefab box. If you have a pickey inspector your spacing for any penetrations in the fire reted assembly cannot exceed a certain amount. I think it's 16 sqin. per something? I forget!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'm assuming the recessed can is looked upon as allowing more smoke/heat being transmitted through it versus a regular 2 hour device box?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would suppose that if the Recessed fixture was rated and listed for a Resi 1 hour rating then It would be ok

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm assuming the recessed can is looked upon as allowing more smoke/heat being transmitted through it versus a regular 2 hour device box?

A can light will exceed the 16 sq ins of allowable opening. Remember a two gang is not quite 4x4. But even a smaller can light will not comply as it does not have a 1 hr rating.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
A can light will exceed the 16 sq ins of allowable opening. Remember a two gang is not quite 4x4. But even a smaller can light will not comply as it does not have a 1 hr rating.

Therefore the reason for "boxing" in the cans. As always, thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are recessed cans on the market that are fired rated. There are also fire rated covers on the market

FF109Xcenter.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Intumescent materials, covers, fire pads, blocks, even intumescent paint, are a special material that expand when exposed to extreme heat, and close off the path for smoke and flame spread.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree that there is more than one way to make them comply, there are some preboxed lights, as well as some other cover besides the one shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.