Electrical Contractor's License

Status
Not open for further replies.

boku0003

I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the Minnesota Laws and Rules could help with my situation. I have a friend who has his contractor's license. I have my Master Electrician's License and my PE Electrical License. I do not have my contractor's license and I am not bonded or insured. Can he hire me on as an employee to do electrical work and order inspections? Looking through the laws and rules (see below for reference) it seems like as long as I am an employee of his, I do not need my own (electrical) contractor's license.

Also, he has a general contractor's license. I did not see anything in the rules about him needing an electrical contractor's license.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/CCLD/PDF/eli_laws_and_rules.pdf

brentk

Although I should add that your friend could become an electrical contractor with you being the "master of record".
The additional? insurance and bonding would be easily taken care of by doing it this way.

boku0003

He has insurance for himself and $75k bond. Would he need additional insurance and bond to obtain the electrical contractor's license?

brentk

That I am not sure about, but I am pretty sure a dedicated bond for the electrical license would be needed. As far as additional insurance I hate to even say it but I imagine that would be a question for the insurance agent. There probably would be an increase since the business "scope of work" and responsibilities would be increasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.