Load Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kethlaney

I am a little confused about loading 1 phase loads on a 3 phase circuit:

I have multiple 208V loads 1 phase loads (2-wire) that I am protecting with a 208V (3-wire) 3 phase breaker. I am connecting the loads phase to phase (A-B, B-C, C-A). The individual loads are 2.0A at 208V. If I have (3) of these individual loads per circuit (3-A/B, 3-B/C, 3-C/A) would I see 12A on each leg of the 3 phase system if I were to clamp a ammeter on each individual line? Does the 1.73 factor come into play at any point?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are asking what the load on each phase is then you just add the respective loads for the phase.

If you clamped a meter you would get 12 amps on each phase.

bob

I am a little confused about loading 1 phase loads on a 3 phase circuit:

I have multiple 208V loads 1 phase loads (2-wire) that I am protecting with a 208V (3-wire) 3 phase breaker. I am connecting the loads phase to phase (A-B, B-C, C-A). The individual loads are 2.0A at 208V. If I have (3) of these individual loads per circuit (3-A/B, 3-B/C, 3-C/A) would I see 12A on each leg of the 3 phase system if I were to clamp a ammeter on each individual line? Does the 1.73 factor come into play at any point?

The wattage connected between each phase is 2 amp x 3 x 208 = 1248 watts
Total wattage = 3 x 1248 = 3744 watts.
A,B and C amperage = 3744 watts/(208 v x 1.73) = 10.4 amps on each conductor. Since the amperage is not in phase you would use vectors to add them together.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... If I have (3) of these individual loads per circuit (3-A/B, 3-B/C, 3-C/A) would I see 12A on each leg of the 3 phase system if I were to clamp a ammeter on each individual line? Does the 1.73 factor come into play at any point?
No and yes in that order.

9 ? 2.0A ? 208V = 3744VA... ? (120V ? 3) or (208V ? 1.73) = 10.4A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.