Propane tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Just finished converting my gasoline generator to propane. Is there any requirement for ground rods or bonding ? Tank is 50 gal outside on a slab and pipe is galv. steel. Generator is anchored and has ground rod. 1 foot of rubber hose is between gen and regulator.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Grounding of your propane tank is outside of the scope of the NEC. There are other standards and codes that may apply.
Is you generator a separately derived system to require a ground rod?

Jim W in Tampa

Grounding of your propane tank is outside of the scope of the NEC. There are other standards and codes that may apply.
Is you generator a separately derived system to require a ground rod?
It is wired into main panel with manuel transfer switch. I think it would be called a seperatly derived system. It is only 5500 watts but needed here because of huricanes. That is why i went to propane, far safer than storing gasoline.

Hendrix

It is wired into main panel with manuel transfer switch. I think it would be called a seperatly derived system. It is only 5500 watts but needed here because of huricanes. That is why i went to propane, far safer than storing gasoline.

If your nutral opens with your ungrounded conductors, it's a SDS.

Jim W in Tampa

If your nutral opens with your ungrounded conductors, it's a SDS.

No, my neutral stays connected at all times. Breakers have mechanical system than only my 200 amp main or 20 amp generator breaker can be on.

Not designed to carry much. All we care about is water pump (240), Frig, freezer,washer,cook top, TV, computers,battery charger for ups, and a few lights.
Fully well know not all at same time. POCO proved few years ago just how unprepaired they are. Trucks mean nothing if they run out of poles and transformers.
Sad part is company i was working for set there shop up on backup generator. They have a first class shop and office. All we care about is getting threw the first few days. After that should be able to manage.
Having propane is more about safety. Last thing i want in a hurricane is 10 cans of gasoline.
My concern is if there is any safety concerns being i do not have a grounded tank or lines.
Easy to fix but not sure if it is good or bad to do so.
Utilities fight us hard about bonding Naturel gas lines.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Do they require you to strap the tank down? They do up here if its in a flood plain to keep it from floating away. I suppose a hurricane could blow a tank over rupturing the fuel line?

Jim W in Tampa

Do they require you to strap the tank down? They do up here if its in a flood plain to keep it from floating away. I suppose a hurricane could blow a tank over rupturing the fuel line?

Not something i see done here but is something to think about. Does have a valve cover.
Even empty it weighs a few hundred pounds but i shore could anchor it with concrete.

Not sure just how many things i might start switching from electric to propane.
dollar wise not got the facts yet but it could take a load off of my 200 amp main that i have triped when having my parties.
Anyone got any links to view. Water heater, dryer, hot tub.?

Status
Not open for further replies.