Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgone

Because amps X volts equals =VA (volt-amperes, k means 1000)!You get the amps load and multiply with the voltage at the transformer terminals; divide by 1000 = kVA, simple calc.

zog

Hello, I have a question: why Transformer is always rated in kVA.

Because they do no "work". Machines that convert electrical energy into some other form of energy are rated in Watts or Hp or some other measurement of work.

Transformers do no work, they convert electrical energy to another flavor of electrical energy so they are rated in "true power", or VA.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Hello, I have a question: why Transformer is always rated in kVA.

Welcome to forum, and I got your mask :grin:

There are two reasons.

1- Copper loss which depends on transformer current.
2- Core loss depends on transformer voltage

That's why the transformer is rating in kVA

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The KVA rating of any component is based on its ability to reject heat to its environment. You may note, for example, that some transformers have cooling fans, and are assigned a higher KVA rating when the fans are running and therefore that the component has an improved ability to reject heat.

I think transformers are rated in KVA because that is the parameter that we need to know. The design process begins with a load calculation, and the calculation results tell us the load in units of KVA. So I would select a transformer size based on the amount of KVA I know that it will need to serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.