Lighting in bathtub shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeunderstanding

Is there any lighting that can be used in showers other than recessed lights. Im doing a bathroom remodel, and the guys wife wants lights in the shower about leg height to shave her legs. Anyone ever install something like that?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what it says. The bold area states that as long as the fixture is wet location you can mount it down low on the wall of the shower. IMO

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

hurk27

I have seen a few shower systems that come with "body lights" that are mounted down low, but they are listed for this use, and of the ones I have seen they are kind of like a pool light mounted into the wall of the shower, and GFCI protected. I wish I could remember the name of the manufacture, but I believe a google on shower lights might pull up something. I try in a few.

macmikeman

You know, I wasn't really all that up for it, but architect drew it, demanded it, signed off liability for it, so I put a WP sconce at 6' high in a tub/shower once. Fed it like this- gfi circuit breaker fed a gfi receptacle outlet in the bathroom, then I wired the light switch and light off the load side of that receptacle outlet, giving double gfi protection for fail secure. Other lighting in that bathroom had another circuit feeding it. I hammered the homeowner's over and over about the importance of testing those gfi's each month, but I bet they never did....

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It doesn't matter whether you single, double or triple GFI protect the circuit. If the light fixture doesn't specifically state that it is "suitable for use in wet locations" neither you nor the architect can legitimately install a fixture inside the shower area.

If the woman wants that close of a shave have her bring in a high-powered LED flashlight.;)

codeunderstanding

It doesn't matter whether you single, double or triple GFI protect the circuit. If the light fixture doesn't specifically state that it is "suitable for use in wet locations" neither you nor the architect can legitimately install a fixture inside the shower area.

If the woman wants that close of a shave have her bring in a high-powered LED flashlight.;)

Thats what I said jokingly. I said get a small mag light hold it in your mouth to shine on your legs then you have both hands free to shave and you can see at the same time.

macmikeman

If you re-read my post you will see I capitalized WP. WP is short for weather proof. It is listed for wet locations. I added the double gfi protection, neither of which is I believe required...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you re-read my post you will see I capitalized WP. WP is short for weather proof. It is listed for wet locations. I added the double gfi protection, neither of which is I believe required...

That was the problem Mac.. There are no wp listed lights. They are either rated damp or wet location and that may have been goldstars issue.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I read your post and I understood exactly what you said. I once had an inspector tag me because the light fixture didn't specifically state that it was suitable for use in a shower. It was an all-plastic fixture with a sealed and gasketed cover. Weatherproof doesn't necessarily mean suitable for use in wet locations or suitable for use in a shower.

BTW, thanks Dennis.

macmikeman

I read your post and I understood exactly what you said. I once had an inspector tag me because the light fixture didn't specifically state that it was suitable for use in a shower. It was an all-plastic fixture with a sealed and gasketed cover. Weatherproof doesn't necessarily mean suitable for use in wet locations or suitable for use in a shower.

BTW, thanks Dennis.

Here is the WP fixture, suitable for wet locations. Suitable for wet locations is I believe code compliant for use in a shower, I cannot find a reference in the NEC that says shower light fixtures must be listed for use in a shower, only the one that says must be listed for wet locations when subject to shower spray. If the one you had that got tagged was suitable for wet locations you should not have gotten tagged. http://http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lightworld.com/rab2/images/vpwallfix.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.lightworld.com/rab2/index2.asp%3Fid%3D11%26pname%3D%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520Vaporproof&usg=__-0uBPzUo1YFMX8rpVXzibAaXmu0=&h=125&w=125&sz=8&hl=en&start=100&tbnid=WAd4W6uniXsDgM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvapor%2Bproof%2Bwall%2Bmount%2Blight%2Bfixture%26start%3D80%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den-us%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1 code reference is 410.10 (A),and 410.10 (D)

macmikeman

Ohboy, google is not my friend today. I'll try again with a representative not exactly the same model number light fixture picture, and you get the idea...
thumbnail_barn_light_electric_vapor_tight_VXWG-11-CG.jpg

macmikeman

That was the problem Mac.. There are no wp listed lights. They are either rated damp or wet location and that may have been goldstars issue.

Dennis, I used the trade slang wp. Big deal. I also call non- metalic sheathed cable "Romex" once in a great while. I apologize to you and to Goldstar. If you will kindly pardon me now, I am off to do the Stations and Pennance for my err.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.