Thermal Imaging Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxstevens

I've been tasked with buying a thermal camera for our facilities department. I have to keep the price below $5,000.00. Any recommendations? I don't want to waste your tax dollars! Oh, it would be best if it didn't have any wireless technology because of our security policies, (no blue-tooth, etc). Thanks.

zog

I've been tasked with buying a thermal camera for our facilities department. I have to keep the price below $5,000.00. Any recommendations? I don't want to waste your tax dollars! Oh, it would be best if it didn't have any wireless technology because of our security policies, (no blue-tooth, etc). Thanks.

The camera is the cheap part, the certification training will cost more than the camera. If you turn an IR camera loose in your department without giving the users the proper training you will have all sorts of issues. There is a lot of very important stuff to know about reflection, emissistivity, etc....

You will also need 70E training and the proper PPE. IR scanning has to be done energized and the proper PPE is required when removing panels and even for the camera guy taking the imiages, they added these in the 2009 70E.

As far as the camera itself, look at Flir, they seems to be prefered by many IR companies.

kwired

Electron manager
The price you spend may depend on exactly what you intend to use it for.

Like ptonsparky said his was cheap. Even a cheap one will have some usefulness. It does more than mine does because I don't have one. Closest thing I have is infrared thermometer. It has some troubleshooting usefulness but is not for every place you wish to do some thermal monitoring especially for preventative maintenance.

brian john

Well, does the manufactures teacher a respective course for their camera's ?

Is there CEU credit's available from anyone?

My philosophy has always been to avoid manufacture classes as typically they are short and not as through as some of the 3rd party instructional courses. The manufacture classes I have attended were highly sales related and one was one day the other two days, 3rd party class was 5 days.

zog

My philosophy has always been to avoid manufacture classes as typically they are short and not as through as some of the 3rd party instructional courses. The manufacture classes I have attended were highly sales related and one was one day the other two days, 3rd party class was 5 days.

Agreed, better to go with the 3rd party but any training is better than none. I have seen some silly recommendations from IR scans by someone who had no idea how to use his camera.

As far as CEU's, yes many of them are.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A lot of rental companies sell their used ones when they upgrade to the latest and greatest, I rent a lot of equipment from these guys, http://telogyllc.com/
and they do sell their inventory from time to time. They were recently bought by Electrorents. I've had good service out of them.

charlietuna

I'm a certified infrared thermographer since 1989 and back then the manufacturer's classes were mainly geared for roof scans, and 95% of the class were roofers. So most electrical system scanners learnt "in the field" ! You suggested i consider where to spend my "tax dollars", so i'll tell you flat out ---- "HIRE IT DONE" . Find a good(Qualified) electrical system thermographer who uses electricians in their scanning process, ask around to building management engineers to get the right outfit. Can't shop for price here ! I really don't think the average government agency will use the equipment enough to get the operator qualified(in the field) and keep his skills up ! Over the years i have followed up behind too many infrared contractors who i really considered "Witch Doctors" if you read their reports. And remember, if they identify items as problems--that aren't problems -- you are going to be doing un-necessary work to correct them. I always gave government agencies a break on costs -- i pay taxes too !

kwired

Electron manager
I always gave government agencies a break on costs -- i pay taxes too !

Did they ever give you a break on your taxes just because you gave them a break for your work?

You should charge them what you would charge anyone else for the same work. From a business stand point this is just another customer and your taxing agencies are just another vendor.

charlietuna

Thats just my way of doing business and it worked out for us, because i was able to explain to the county's department heads that "PROPER" infrared scanning doesn't cost --- it pays! And from the results of our scans, proved to them to set up a yearly scan of their facilities. Since i have been in business, i have always tried to provide my county quality services at minimal costs and it has always payed off for my company. We have an outstanding relationship with them and their building and zoning department.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.