Homeline panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

e2me2

Do they make a main breaker for the homeline 20space 100 A that is only 60 -90 or can you just put in a 80 and not use the main breaker lugs but feed to the 80 to feed the panel like a main lug with lock down

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
All newer Homeline panels use the same main breakers as the QO panels use. The QOM1 frame size is available in all standard overcurrent device sizes from 50 to 125 amps. The QOM2 frame size skips 110 amps for some reason but is available in all other sizes from 100 to 225 amps.

e2me2

If you are going to backfeed a breaker, just get an MLO panel.... no need for the 100a main.

I am finishing a job another electrician started but went out of business. He has a 100A 20 space homeline in the detatched garage and a 100a in the house using a double lug meter socket . But the garage is only feed with #2 alum.This is fine for the house but the garage is not a dwelling unit and needs #1 to feed the 100A so i was just going to drop the 100 main and use a 80 or 90 so all would be well .but was unsure if that was an option with homeline main at the top.Hope it is and a quick part number would be great if anyone has it. Therefore I can order online quickly.Thanks

480sparky

Why not just protect the wiring with the 80 or 90a breaker at the feed end, and run it right into the 100a breaker in the panel?

hurk27

Why not just protect the wiring with the 80 or 90a breaker at the feed end, and run it right into the 100a breaker in the panel?

Probably because the garage is already fed, and the wire wont reach the house panel, and since these are SEC's feeding the garage it is most likely it's only a 3-wire feed, which if he goes to the house panel a 4-wire run will be required, and the fact that it will also add this load to the house 100 amp main?

I have been wiring out buildings and stand alone garages like this for a while because it saves allot of cost on installation and is the only code compliant method that still allows a 3-wire feed because the conductors are service entrance conductors not feeders, and you only need the disconnect at the garage since it is considered a service, and the wires never enter the house.

I would suggest changing the HL main to a 80-90 amp, or using a back fed 90 amp with a hold down clip in the garage panel.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

From what I am getting there is no breaker at the feed end, the conductors running to the garage are service conductors.

IMO the OPs idea is a simple and cost effective plan

e2me2

Just for Clarification

Just for Clarification

So from what I understand Homeline does make a 80 amp main replacement
But if I cant find one in my area supply house will a 80A standered breaker work even though there is a main in the I will just feed the suppy to the 80 and leave the 100 a lugs empty or will this not be legal

Volta

But if I cant find one in my area supply house will a 80A standered breaker work even though there is a main in the I will just feed the suppy to the 80 and leave the 100 a lugs empty or will this not be legal

That would be compliant using the hold-down you mentioned earlier, assuming the circuit is rated for 75 deg C.

Otherwise it would need to be 75 amps or less 230.90(A).

kwired

Electron manager
I am finishing a job another electrician started but went out of business. He has a 100A 20 space homeline in the detatched garage and a 100a in the house using a double lug meter socket . But the garage is only feed with #2 alum.This is fine for the house but the garage is not a dwelling unit and needs #1 to feed the 100A so i was just going to drop the 100 main and use a 80 or 90 so all would be well .but was unsure if that was an option with homeline main at the top.Hope it is and a quick part number would be great if anyone has it. Therefore I can order online quickly.Thanks

QOM90VH - replace the 90 with other amperage if desired for the 225 amp frame sizes the cat #'s are QOM2XXXVH with the XXX being the amperage.

As I said in earlier post Homeline and QO panels use the same main breakers. The earliest versions of Homeline did have a different main breaker but all newer ones have the QO style.

Installing a backfed breaker and having the original main being backfed will not hurt a thing and is not a code violation. Look at it is being subfeed lugs with convenient switch to disconnect them. You may want to make sure that you clearly mark your alternate main as being the main because most will expect the factory main to be the main - that would be the primary reason I would suggest changing the factory main.

Status
Not open for further replies.