2011 Draft - Hand Protection from Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well i hope it passes soon .

Maybe we would not have to ware gloves anymore that will offset the cost of the boxes and we can really work in the field agian.

peter

I just know that I have pulled wire thru plaster rings and the sharp edges of the hole scraped the insulation off the wires. I am sure that this is a legitamite use of the Code.
~Peter

jumper

In my opinion, this rule along with a number of others is outside the scope of the NEC. The scope of the NEC does not permit rules that govern product design and manufacture. These things should be left to the product standards and not placed in the NEC.

I agree.

When I first joined this forum I would have said this rule was a good idea, but I have changed my mind on many things since then.

I would like to think that I am older and wiser, but alas: I am probably just older.

kwired

Electron manager
Fluorescent strip fixtures are about the worst for receiving cuts. As time goes by they keep making them out of thinner sheet metal and pretty soon you will be able to shave with the edges. I received a cut from one of them one time that required stitching.

jumper

Fluorescent strip fixtures are about the worst for receiving cuts. As time goes by they keep making them out of thinner sheet metal and pretty soon you will be able to shave with the edges. I received a cut from one of them one time that required stitching.

True, so have I, but is that an electrical safety issue or a manufacturing problem?

RUWired

Our company tapes the edges on panels but never heard of a box being a issue and we must ware safety glasses all day hard hats and gloves all day and safety vest whats next ?
!
Florescent attire for the hard hat. It is a requirement for the newbe's on this job site i am on.

ohmhead

Florescent attire for the hard hat. It is a requirement for the newbe's on this job site i am on.

Well Tunner one of the largest contractors in the USA makes all meaning 100% all workers on site ware vest on site in or out of building we can not take our ppe of during lunch .

This includes there project engineers and anyone visting our site including the electrical inspector !

Were not a Newbee

macmikeman

Besides the electrical side to the issue, fluorescent fixtures with sharp edges are way more dangerous from the "other guy's blood" from the factory way down there wherever someplace, so you get cut and he got cut and now you got hep or TB or some such....

jumper

Besides the electrical side to the issue, fluorescent fixtures with sharp edges are way more dangerous from the "other guy's blood" from the factory way down there wherever someplace, so you get cut and he got cut and now you got hep or TB or some such....

Sorry, mac, now this is reaching and far fetched, I am not going there.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Guys, comments 9-15 and 9-40 rejected the new wording. Barring the unforeseen there will be no change to the 2011 regarding this.

The substantiations in the ROC were that there was no "body count" and that there is already a product standard covering the issue.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I can not wait, we will all be changing out the old boxs for the new kind.
Rip up the whole building to change out the "sharp danger waiting to get you" box.
Do you think we can get some stimulas money? We could work for years if we play this B.S. right!
I can hear the job meeting now "yep, we need to change all the boxs to the new type due to the law suite last year..."

Status
Not open for further replies.