Hot tub on paver's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Can someone help me I have a customer who is putting a hot tub on a paver patio I know I need to lay coper mesh my question is how far out must the mesh be and must the mesh go under stairs?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What code cycle are you under? Mesh is no longer necessary in 2008-- encircling the tub is what we do now. You are under th 05 right?

zappy

I didn't know you had to do this for a hot tub. I knew for a pool. So even if the hot tub is sitting on a wood deck off the ground?

WinZip

I didn't know you had to do this for a hot tub. I knew for a pool. So even if the hot tub is sitting on a wood deck off the ground?

ZAPPY,

We did a pool back about 6 months ago that was to have decks built to the pool walls on front of pool an both sides half way and was required to have grid under the decks area also , an 6 inches of fill over top of the grid.

krisinjersey

On a deck?

On a deck?

That's not making sense to me. If you're on a deck you are elevated from the ground. Making contact with both the ground and the tub is, at that point, impossible rendering the bare ground loop useless. I thought that code was to keep everything at the same potential so you couldn't get shocked by having one foot in the tub and the other on the pavers, patio or grass. I think someone needs to offer some clarification. :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's not making sense to me. If you're on a deck you are elevated from the ground. Making contact with both the ground and the tub is, at that point, impossible rendering the bare ground loop useless. I thought that code was to keep everything at the same potential so you couldn't get shocked by having one foot in the tub and the other on the pavers, patio or grass. I think someone needs to offer some clarification. :confused:

Unfortunately there is no clarification on this. In NC they have ruled that you need to put it in the ground under the deck also. I think it is ridiculous and hopefully there are changes to that article.....

I would call the AHJ because everyone will see it differently. My inspectors have been great in working with me in the different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.