minimum ampacity motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Hi everyone...

On a walk in cooler compressor, the compressor says a minimum ampacity of 18A. I have been told it is the minimum "wire" size and not the FLA which requires 125% sized wire....seems the same as i was told for some rooftop units, that is that they are for wire sizing, not calculating. is there a rule of thumb when to apply wire sizing other than going big and size the wire to 125% as one suggested, which can be a costly pain trying to make connections with #10 copper. I'd love to hear why they already do the calculations in some cases and not others.

Thanks again!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the unit states minimum circuit ampacity then I believe it has the 125% built in. In either case the wire size would not change. A #12 will work for refrigeration -- look at Table 310.16 asterisks. Then go to 240.4(D). This states unless specifically allowed by 240.4(G) then you must use #12 at 20 amps however refrigeration is specified in 240.4(G) so if the wire and terminals are rated 75C or better then we can use the 75C col. of #12 which is 25 amps.

haskindm

How is the "minimum ampacity" labeled. Minimum ampacity could be referring to the overload device, the short circuit/ground-fault protection device, the conductor size, or something else. Often the label will tell you "minimum circuit ampacity" and "maximum fuse/circuit breaker". There must be more information than you have given...

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
#14 would be allowed for the 18 MCA, even at the 60 deg rating. #14 (copper) has an ampacity of 20 at both 60 & 75 deg ratings.

Usually you will see the MCA and MOCP for a manufactured piece of equipment, such as your cooler compressor, when there are multiple motors or motors located within an enclosure. The manufacturer does the math for you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree #14 will work if indeed the mca is 18 amps. Isn't it true that most motors you need the 125% but for a/c units the math is done for you. I wasn't sure about refrigeration.

Npstewart

I run my own selections for my roof top units and split systems using a carrier selection program, and the wire size it says to use is extremely small in my opinion. (see attached). I know there is a different table for AC equipment, but I would never use it.

The MCA on the attachment however is about 18 amps (same as yours), and it says to use a #14 Wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I run my own selections for my roof top units and split systems using a carrier selection program, and the wire size it says to use is extremely small in my opinion. (see attached). I know there is a different table for AC equipment, but I would never use it.

The MCA on the attachment however is about 18 amps (same as yours), and it says to use a #14 Wire.

Interesting that it gives the wire size based on 60C or 75C-- I had not seen that.

Npstewart

Yup. By the way, thats for a condensing unit for a split AC system.

Also, if you do the math, you will see that the MCA has the 125% ALREADY put in there.

Compressor RLA = 14.1 x 1.25 = 17.6
Fan Motor FLA = 1.2

17.6 + 1.2 = 18.8 AMPS

Which is correct because the MCA for this equals 18.8 amps

from there, it automatically chooses the correct size wire based on that table in the NEC

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered

Is that the current at 208V or 230V. I don't see how it's going to be the same current at both voltages, as 208V is 10% lower than 230V.

I beleive they are using the fact that the #14 at 90deg C is 25A. For derating purposes you can use this value. The actual current cannot be higher than the rated current at 75deg C after it is derated. In this case 80% of 25A is 20A, your load is 18.8A, therefore #14 works.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I beleive they are using the fact that the #14 at 90deg C is 25A.

Kingpb, not quite. They are using the fact that #14 is 20A at both 60 & 75 deg. 20A is larger than the minimum of 18.8, therefore, #14 works for either 60 or 75 deg. There is no need to start with the 90 deg rating, and no derating going on.

mbeatty

I also believe there is no derating happening. I saw no mention of ambient temps above 30 degrees C or more than 3 current carrying conductors in conduit.
Regards,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.