3 phase portable generator connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkme

he generator would produce 41.6 A at 15 kva, and 69.33 A at 25 kva.
The only NEMA listed connectors for that much current would be a pin and sleeve type.
Deconnector brand has a 60A 5 wire (3 hots, neutral, and ground ) device which is rated 7-1/2 HP at 208V. F - 63-64167, and M - 63-68167 they are quite expensive.
Hope this helps.

Cold Fusion

Given a 15-25 kva portable 208/120 3ph portable generator, what's the correct connector to use?
Well, you left out just a wee bit of information:

Where is the gen OCP?. Where is the bonding jumper? - gen or equipment? Which depends on the equipment - panel or utilization equipment. And are you sending the neutral to the equipment?

So the connector is either 4W or 5W. 15kva is 42A so probably 60A. 25kva is 70A, so likely 100A.

On one end you could use a 4W 208V, 50A or 60A Nema 18-50 or 18-60, non-locking.

For 70A, or 5W, a pin and sleeve - C-H, Appleton, Leviton - probably others as well.

You may wish to design your project a bit further before you select a connector.

cf

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Well, you left out just a wee bit of information:

Where is the gen OCP?. Where is the bonding jumper? - gen or equipment? Which depends on the equipment - panel or utilization equipment. And are you sending the neutral to the equipment?.....
You may wish to design your project a bit further before you select a connector.

cf

Here's where I am... We were speculating on a PTO generator being a solution to a problem. The question I later thought of was: "Hmm, wonder what kind of connector you put on such?" and that's where I started looking at Hubbell charts, etc.

Given it's driving both single and 3-phase loads, I think the neutral might be advantageous. It will connect to a transfer switch going to a breaker panel.

Cold Fusion

...Given it's driving both single and 3-phase loads, I think the neutral might be advantageous.
Okay one tied down. But still don't know if 4W or 5W - need to answer the rest of the questions.

... It will connect to a transfer switch going to a breaker panel.
And you added another - 3W or 4W transfer switch.

For where you are in the design, I'd budget a 100A, 5W pin and sleeve.

cf

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
My point was this is not a design; it's a query and maybe budding idea, nothing more at this stage.

If I instead ask "When you buy a 3-phase PTO generator; what kind of connector is furnished?"....how would you reply?

I'd assume the generator skid has OCP built into its package. Wouldn't that be required?

Given 3ph+N+G; that's 5. How would 4 be legal?

Cold Fusion

...If I instead ask "When you buy a 3-phase PTO generator; what kind of connector is furnished?"....how would you reply? ...
Ohh, sorry. That is a different question than I thought you had in mind. I thought you were putting together a home/farm project. You wish to know what connector comes with a package PTO generator, on a 3 point hitch, 15 - 25kw, 208V, 3ph?

I wouldn't have a clue. I've seen package 3phase gens with convenience receptacles, but I've never seen a package 3phase gen that came with a receptacle suitable for full load. However, they could easily be available and I would not know. Have you considered calling a farm equipment vendor.

I'd assume the generator skid has OCP built into its package. Wouldn't that be required? ...
I'm out of my area with this size package generator. However, all of the small (<150kw) 3 phase gens that I have dealt with, that were package units, came with a main CB, but no connector(receptacle) That being said, I don't know of any authority that requires an OCP on the gen skid.

...Given 3ph+N+G; that's 5. How would 4 be legal?
The generator is configured as an SDS and has a Main Bonding Jumper. Cord and rceptacle are 4W. The transfer switch is required to be 4W.

When you added the "transfer switch and breaker panel", that sounds like there is also another source - maybe a utility. If so that cuts your available options way down. You are now constrained to:

1. Remove the bonding jumper from the gen, cord and connector are 5 wire, transfer switch is 3 wire.

or

2. Install thebonding jumper in the gen, cord and connector are 4W, transfer switch is 3W.

Good luck with your project. Let us know what you find. I'd be curious to what is available in 3ph package units with a full output receptacle.

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.