Equipment Grounding Conductor 250.120(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

I am working on a transportation project which uses the 2002 NEC. Referencing 250.120(C), Are equipment grounding conductors larger than 6AWG which are subject to physical damage required to be in raceway?

Thanks in advance for your help.

liverpool

Could you explain the install in further detail? I can't see this not violating 300.3(B).

I'll attempt to explain further. We are running a bare #4/0 from the AC switchboard ground along a station platform so that any platform equipment or entity which needs to be grounded can connect to it using an EGC sized per 250.122. Does the #4/0 need to be housed in a raceway?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
That sounds more like a 250.104(C) type install, sized per 250.66 and installed as per 250.64. So I say yes, protection from physical damage is required.

Ruff-N

Wouldnt running the egc in a conduit defeat the purpose of some other entity been able to connect just about anywhere to the egc in the future. Unless you are runnig to a buss bar where it would be convenient for anyone to run thier egc to the buss bar and connect to it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Wouldnt running the egc in a conduit defeat the purpose of some other entity been able to connect just about anywhere to the egc in the future. Unless you are runnig to a buss bar where it would be convenient for anyone to run thier egc to the buss bar and connect to it.
The EGC for a circuit is required to be run with the ungrounded conductors of that same circuit. A remote EGC is not permitted by the NEC rules. Are you really talking about an equipment grounding conductor?

Ruff-N

The EGC for a circuit is required to be run with the ungrounded conductors of that same circuit. A remote EGC is not permitted by the NEC rules. Are you really talking about an equipment grounding conductor?

From the OP it sounds to me like they plan to run a bare 4/0 along the station platform and if there are any future metal stuctures or equipt. that needs to be grounded they will have access to this 4/0 for said purpose :-?. Can you referance the article about the remote egc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you referance the article about the remote egc.

I believe it is 300.3(B)(2)

300.3(B)(2) Grounding and Bonding Conductors. Equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be installed outside a raceway or cable assembly where in accordance with the provisions of 250.130(C) for certain existing installations or in accordance with 250.134(B), Exception No. 2, for dc circuits. Equipment bonding conductors shall be permitted to be installed on the outside of raceways in accordance with 250.102(E).

Volta

We may need to or be able to call this a simple Bonding Jumper.

Might this also inadvertantly become part of the GES, if being used to connect metal structures of buildings together?

Of course if the "station platform" is for rolling stock, then it may not be within the scope of the NEC anyway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the OP it sounds to me like they plan to run a bare 4/0 along the station platform and if there are any future metal stuctures or equipt. that needs to be grounded they will have access to this 4/0 for said purpose :-?. Can you referance the article about the remote egc.
That still doesn't change the requirement that you run the EGC with the circuit conductors.
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

I have no idea what they intend this conductor to do, but it can't be the code required EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.