use of a hook stick on an MCC disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameele

greetings,

I am replacing an MCC at a plant where several of the top breakers are higher than the 6'-7" of 404.8. (it's set on a 10" plinth because I think that someone forgot that 3" seals are about 10" high, back in the early 70's :roll:)

The operators have made their own 18" long hook stick out of a broom handle. I've spent a lot of time telling them that this is not to code. Then I refresh my memory on maximum height, and I find that Exception 3 allows hook switch operable isolating switches at greater heights.

Is this actually an acceptable use and application? Becasue it will be a LOT cheaper to get them a couple of fancy new hooks than providing a platform all the way around the MCC. I was unable to sturcture the new MCC to get all the handles below 6'-7".

If you don't think that a hook is legal, would you consider that an OSHA approved moveable step to be a legal working platform? It would also be considerably cheaper. I'm not opposed to the permenent platform, just trying to keep things simpler.

thanks for any opinions and info.

kameele

Valid question since I didn't offer quite enough specifics.

The MCC is fed by underground conduits from a classified area and have seals mounted as they come out of the floor slab. They are not going away. Some of the framing within the MCC is even notched to get clearance. I dont think the newer MCCs are any more open on the bottom than the old ones.

hotwire1955

greetings,

I am replacing an MCC at a plant where several of the top breakers are higher than the 6'-7" of 404.8. (it's set on a 10" plinth because I think that someone forgot that 3" seals are about 10" high, back in the early 70's :roll:)

The operators have made their own 18" long hook stick out of a broom handle. I've spent a lot of time telling them that this is not to code. Then I refresh my memory on maximum height, and I find that Exception 3 allows hook switch operable isolating switches at greater heights.

Is this actually an acceptable use and application? Becasue it will be a LOT cheaper to get them a couple of fancy new hooks than providing a platform all the way around the MCC. I was unable to sturcture the new MCC to get all the handles below 6'-7
If you don't think that a hook is legal, would you consider that an OSHA approved moveable step to be a legal working platform? It would also be considerably cheaper. I'm not opposed to the permenent platform, just trying to keep things simpler.

thanks for any opinions and info.

exception #3 article 404.8 is for isolating switches not breakers

kameele

That is indeed the section I was looking for. 404.8 just didn't seem quite right. now that i've eliminated the possiblity of using a hook, I'll ask again about a moveable step. Would a moveable step that meets all necessary OSHA requirements be considered a working platform?

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
A working platform is not defined but I would not consider a movable ladder a working platform. If a ladder could be considered a working platform then I don't think 240.24(A)(4) would exist. Can you add additional vertical sections that would allow you to reconfigure the MCC in order to get all handles at 6'7"?

cripple

use of a hook stick on an MCC disconnect?

240.24 requires that overcurrent devices to be readily accessible and has the height requirement of 6?7?. Readily accessible is defined as: ?Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.? With this requires I not think the OSHA approved moveable step would be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.