Art. 725

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Elec.

I am having trouble understanding 725.41 (B).
I am thinking that there is some type of benefit to a circuit being classified as Class 1 unlimited power source.
Benefit such as relaxed requirements. Relaxed from Art. 300 rules.
But I see overcurrent protection, wiring methods, conductors of different circuits in same raceway, number of conductors in raceway. All following Art. 300 rules.

What am I missing about 725 Class 1? Why does this Section exist if it could be covered under Art. 300? These type of circuits have to be used as "remote-control and signaling" but to receive what benefits?
Or, relaxed requirements are not what are given to these circuits.
Why the special classification?

raider1

Staff member
Keep in mind that a motor control circuit is a Class 1 circuit.

Also Class 1 circuits can be run with 16 or 18 AWG conductors where general circuits are not permitted to be run with 16 or 18 AWG conductors.

Also Part VI of Article 430 deals with motor control circuits and there are section with that part that allow specific overcurrent protection conditions for motor control circuits.

Chris

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Class 1 only designates that the circuit is not power and light even though Class 1 requires the same wiring and installation methods. There are no relaxed requirements other than perhaps being able to use smaller than 14GA wire.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.