Loose Panelboard on floor...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

This seemed a bit weird to me, is it legal?
Not a dwelling.
In case the photo is unclear, the five boxes attached to the panelboard are receptacles.

This was peripheral to the project I am involved with so I just took the photo and moved on.
thanks

glene77is

that is not ok. They should be using something listed to UL 1640 such as a 'spider box'

Describe a 'spider box', please.
Is it just a commercial UL listed version of what we see on the floor ?

OK,
I found one on a Grainger site. It Does look like a spider !

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
It would be acceptable if set up on a stand that the panel was mounted too.

I made something similar out of an 800 amp panel board, I welded up a stand on wheels so I could roll it around. I would say the hole thing with the portable power cable was 800 to a 1000 lbs.

glene77is

It would be acceptable if set up on a stand that the panel was mounted too.
I made something similar out of an 800 amp panel board, I welded up a stand on wheels so I could roll it around. I would say the hole thing with the portable power cable was 800 to a 1000 lbs.

Bob,
It is 'cool' to be able to do things, when you want, where you need.
I am sure nobody asked to borrow the half-ton receptical box !

I locked a 20 foot chain through the 'D' handle of a large hammer-drill, once.
Nobody every wanted to borrow it.

Why do old electricians talk about things in the middle of the night?
Guess the spark of an active life still glows in the dark!

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

being its pluged in i really dont think nec can touch it. Would suggest gfi breakers and am sure osha would have plenty to say. Being it look as in a kitchen in residential osha will not likely see.
Now the down side. Who ever this belongs to has liability. No smart GC will allow it.

Similar contraptions were made many years ago by not so smart electricians. When the first gfci breakers came out we constantly had proplems with temp power poles. One way out was use the 50 amp receptacle and put a 120 volt 20 amp receptacle on it. Was not smart but was a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.