No GFCI requirement for twist locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get some opinions on this suggestion. How about we do NOT require gfci in kitchens for 15 -20 amp 125 volt receptacles that are twistlock.

I can see the need for the regular receptacles to have gfci, but twistlocks I have never heard of anyone getting shock off of those because they are not readily usuable.

Volta

I would like to get some opinions on this suggestion. How about we do NOT require gfci in kitchens for 15 -20 amp 125 volt receptacles that are twistlock.

I can see the need for the regular receptacles to have gfci, but twistlocks I have never heard of anyone getting shock off of those because they are not readily usuable.

I don't think that it is the actual device that persons tend to be shocked from, but rather the equipment it supplies.

hurk27

I agree with Volta, it is the appliance that needs the protection (or should I say the person touching it) one of the most common kitchen appliances that had a bad habit of shocking you was the two wire toaster, they used to have non-polarized plugs which would allow you to reverse the plug in the receptacle to stop the shocking, but this was a band-aid to the problem, the problem was the heating element would get deformed and touch the side of the toaster case and energize it, this led to requiring 3-wire toasters unless it has an effective double insulation around the elements, the problem was there was no legal way to make home owners stop using these older toasters and so GFCI protecting the receptacles was born, once in a while I still see some of these older sunbeam toasters in use, so I feel GFCI protecting of kitchen receptacles will be around for quite awhile, locking or not.

I agree with Volta, it is the appliance that needs the protection (or should I say the person touching it) one of the most common kitchen appliances that had a bad habit of shocking you was the two wire toaster, they used to have non-polarized plugs which would allow you to reverse the plug in the receptacle to stop the shocking, but this was a band-aid to the problem, the problem was the heating element would get deformed and touch the side of the toaster case and energize it, this led to requiring 3-wire toasters unless it has an effective double insulation around the elements, the problem was there was no legal way to make home owners stop using these older toasters and so GFCI protecting the receptacles was born, once in a while I still see some of these older sunbeam toasters in use, so I feel GFCI protecting of kitchen receptacles will be around for quite awhile, locking or not.

Thanks for the info. This was actually for a commercial kitchen not residential.

480sparky

isnt it '15 and 20 ampere 120v receptacles' and twistlock or straight blade is not specified?

An exception for twistlocks appears to be missing in my codebook.

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
FPN: See 215.9 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel on feeders.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
.........(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces .........

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Kitchens
(3) Rooftops
(4) Outdoors

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.
Exception No. 2 to (4): In industrial establishments only, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in 590.6(B)(2) shall be permitted for only those receptacle outlets used to supply equipment that would create a greater hazard if power is interrupted or having a design that is not compatible with GFCI protection.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

Why reduce the use of GFCIs?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.