• No, wait and see if they notice

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Yes, point it out and ask if it's ok

Votes: 59 95.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

It came out in between the two sides of the door frame. He measured 2'6 from the corner upstairs, went downstairs and drilled at 3'6:confused:, so insted of coming in the wall under the switch, he came out in the floor:mad:

I'm trying to picture (in my mind) what corner upstairs can be seen in the basement.

I only did residential old work as a helper and the guy I worked with would drive a finished nail into the floor with me looking up from underneath. Then when I saw it, he would tell me to go x number of inches in the direction he wanted and drill my hole. He would then set the nail. We didn't work any high end homes, so I guess it didn't matter too much (mostly rentals installing baseboard heat).

mcclary's electrical

I'm trying to picture (in my mind) what corner upstairs can be seen in the basement.

I only did residential old work as a helper and the guy I worked with would drive a finished nail into the floor with me looking up from underneath. Then when I saw it, he would tell me to go x number of inches in the direction he wanted and drill my hole. He would then set the nail. We didn't work any high end homes, so I guess it didn't matter too much (mostly rentals installing baseboard heat).

He was supposed to pull his measurement from the outside wall to 2'6. He pulled his measurement at 3'6" and drilled. He's a skilled mechanic and made an honest mistake. But It really bothers me.

mcclary's electrical

Drilling a hole through a floor doesn't take much skill IMO. He made a simple mistake, it happens. Sometimes I accidentally bend conduit to the wrong measurement, that doesn't mean I'm not skilled at bending conduit.

You're right. He made an honest mistake, he not just a helper, but a mechanic.

satcom

More bad luck for you huh? :grin:

Our company is no different from many others, learning over the years, and after three generations, and over a combined time of seventy years of business, I think we have done very well, and not had any more bad luck then any other business with the number of years in operation. Let me know after you have operated a business for a number of years, all the bad luck you run into?

growler

Everybody screws up from time to time regardless of how "skilled" you are. I'd put some helpers up against some of the licensed guys I know any day.

We are talking about drilling a hole in the correct location so being a licensed electrician doesn't give anyone any real advantage here.

Experience doing service work and knowing that this is the type of thing where you don't hurry because a mistake can be expensive is the more important thing. You are right because I know old guys that have been in the trade for years and years that have never done the first service call ( they do new construction).

The lesson to be learned here is that everyone does make a mistake from time to time and there is nothing that can be done about it. The price charged for this type of work must reflect the risk involved so that it's not such a shock when a job doesn't go as well as planned.

macmikeman

Five or six years ago there was a tool getting a few threads on various electrical websites that had a transmitter and receiver which helped to locate drill points. I cannot find my link, as I have done a few browser dumps and changes since then. It was supposed to be able to work thru 2 foot thick poured concrete walls as well as floors. Anybody remember this?

satcom

We are talking about drilling a hole in the correct location so being a licensed electrician doesn't give anyone any real advantage here.

Experience doing service work and knowing that this is the type of thing where you don't hurry because a mistake can be expensive is the more important thing. You are right because I know old guys that have been in the trade for years and years that have never done the first service call ( they do new construction).

The lesson to be learned here is that everyone does make a mistake from time to time and there is nothing that can be done about it. The price charged for this type of work must reflect the risk involved so that it's not such a shock when a job doesn't go as well as planned.

Yes, that is it, and he feels bad because he used a guy that was experienced and he works hard and I am sure does good work, and cares about his customers.
Licensed has nothing to do with the issue, as you said old work, needs that nich of experience.

growler

You visit his million dollar home, he misses the wall and drills a 3/8" hole right through the hardwood floor.

He's a skilled mechanic and made an honest mistake. But It really bothers me.

On a high end home it not a good idea to drill with a 3/8" bit until you are sure you are in the right place. It's just as hard to patch a 3/8" hole as it is a 3/4" hole. Get some very thin bits to drill a pilot hole and run a thin piece to wire through to make sure. If this were a very small hole you probably could patch it to where no one would ever notice, but it needs to be small.

This takes extra time but it does beat having to repair a floor. :)

I allow twice the time to work on a house like this as opposed to an old cheap rental property because a mistake will cost 10 times as much. It takes extra care with everything you do ( that takes time ).

Let us hope that the old school chum didn't talk you into some type of special "old buddy" deal and you still have to repair the floor.

mcclary's electrical

Five or six years ago there was a tool getting a few threads on various electrical websites that had a transmitter and receiver which helped to locate drill points. I cannot find my link, as I have done a few browser dumps and changes since then. It was supposed to be able to work thru 2 foot thick poured concrete walls as well as floors. Anybody remember this?

Ridgid or either Hilti makes one. I'll see if I can find it

Article 90.1

It came out in between the two sides of the door frame. He measured 2'6 from the corner upstairs, went downstairs and drilled at 3'6:confused:, so insted of coming in the wall under the switch, he came out in the floor:mad:

A tape measure makes the perfect note pad. Simply write your measurement in pencil and you will have it when you need it, then it wears off in a few days so you can take new measurements or notes.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
http://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-10144

I usually make it clear to the apprentices there are a few things on certain jobs that you take extra time not to screw up. I don't want fast, I want it right. Cutting in boxes in the wrong spot, drilling holes without double checking measurements, marking up nice floors with tools, etc. I don't care if it takes twice as long, just be careful. Some guys only think go go go, and that'll get you into trouble sometimes.

Walking out to the truck to get a part and not taking something with you(tools your done with, garbage, etc) is another pet peeve of mine.

mcclary's electrical

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-10144

I usually make it clear to the apprentices there are a few things on certain jobs that you take extra time not to screw up. I don't want fast, I want it right. Cutting in boxes in the wrong spot, drilling holes without double checking measurements, marking up nice floors with tools, etc. I don't care if it takes twice as long, just be careful. Some guys only think go go go, and that'll get you into trouble sometimes.

Walking out to the truck to get a part and not taking something with you(tools your done with, garbage, etc) is another pet peeve of mine.

Yes, that's it! Very expensive though. I'm thinking about it

I learned as a firefighter that you never go anywhere empty handed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I once came up through an aluminum door frame, with just the point of my worm bit. Very tiny hole. I caulked it well and told HO, no problem. Measuring sometimes is very tricky underneath. Good if you find a pipe or duct through floor, but even then it may have an offset hidden in subfloor.

I have used the nail through if old cheap floor or drilled a 1/8 hole through shoe molding, then caulked it up, again on old cheap floor. In nicer homes, I put a cloth on the floor and tap until helper hits same spot. Then watch very closely.

I use to sweat buckets when cutting floors for a floor outlet. Had to cut 1 that looked like cherry, not sure what it was. But beautiful with high shine. Measured 10 times and tapped, measured again before cutting. Was fortunate with that.

I had a helper a few years ago that I learned never to give such a task to. He was a good kid, did all we asked, nothing too dirty, etc. But he had no ability to think things out, such as measuring left from 1 side, right on other. He would always mix things up. His joints often came loose, he couldn't get wires termed in a gfi terminal clamp, etc. He found his true calling and pursued it instead.

But I have made other goofs on things that mattered. I found it best to level with customer and do what it takes. Even if it puts me in the hole, my good name is worth more than gold. Long term rewards are better than short term any day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.