Permits

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
If I work on a job that requires a permit but doesn't have one can I get in trouble with the state that issued my license? I have a NH license. Thanks

480sparky

Off the cuff, I'd say yes. You may be simply required to obtain a permit, there may be a fine involved, or you license may be revoked.

Jim W in Tampa

Would be up to local laws. Being your an appretice i rather dought they go after you but might go after the master you work under.
In FL I have seen many major jobs done with no permit but being we require only the owner of a company to have a masters it would only be him thats in trouble. If caught the job would be shut down.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It really depends upon local rules and laws, I permited the electrical on a medium size plant that was doing a major renovation, (new 2000 amp service, many large motors and compressors) I was the only trade on site that had a permit, the steel workers, plumbers, HVAC, Refrigeration pipefitters, nobody else had a permit. Inspectors came out, didn't question any other trades on why they didn't have a permit.

Jim W in Tampa

He just might been one of them inspectors that is too busy to deal with it or simply just only doing his own job. Had he dived into it he likely would have lost an hour in paper work and phone calls and missed his doughnut break. Not sure about now but a few years ago they were far over worked here with the building boom we had. Now with building being at standstill an inspector could spend all day and not fall behind.

macmikeman

In some places you have local or city laws vs state law. For instance, here the state law is strict about not doing work where a permit is normally required to do such work. There is very little enforcement by the state on this law however. On the other hand, the city (which is the body giving out the permits) has electrical inspectors. If they find jobs going on without permits, they can cite for that and you start incurring city fines. In addition to that, most likely they would at that point start looking pretty close at the work you did do, and probably will be able to find something or other that will result in further citations. If a person engages in this behavior repeatedly, they will gather up a handful of those citations and then hand them over to the city prosecutor who files a case in state court. If found guilty, bye bye to license for at least a year.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It really depends upon local rules and laws, I permited the electrical on a medium size plant that was doing a major renovation, (new 2000 amp service, many large motors and compressors) I was the only trade on site that had a permit, the steel workers, plumbers, HVAC, Refrigeration pipefitters, nobody else had a permit. Inspectors came out, didn't question any other trades on why they didn't have a permit.

That's why we issue combo permits, but in a case like this and kind of along the lines of what Jim said, I get the electrical permit, I don't see any of the others so as long as I have a permit, I usually wouldn't question the other trades to much, unless I had a feeling, then I may turn the building inspector on to them.

Jim W in Tampa

Here we often start jobs without a permit while waiting for it. Never had an inspector ask me how i did 200 hours of work in less than a day. Nothing is covered up or hidden just simply ready for rough inspection soon as permit arrives.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Here we often start jobs without a permit while waiting for it. Never had an inspector ask me how i did 200 hours of work in less than a day. Nothing is covered up or hidden just simply ready for rough inspection soon as permit arrives.

that actually sounds like a pretty rational process if you are going to have a permit system.

it's amazing that something that exhibits that much common sense is allowed by a government entity.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
that actually sounds like a pretty rational process if you are going to have a permit system.

it's amazing that something that exhibits that much common sense is allowed by a government entity.

And that's why we don't allow it here.:grin:

One of the reasons we don't allow it is, if you don't have a permit that also means you don't have a set of approved plans. Had a guy build a wall and one side it, the way they always do, except the engineer wanted heavier guage studs. 20' tall by 50' long was a very expensive mistake.

Jim W in Tampa

And that's why we don't allow it here.:grin:

One of the reasons we don't allow it is, if you don't have a permit that also means you don't have a set of approved plans. Had a guy build a wall and one side it, the way they always do, except the engineer wanted heavier guage studs. 20' tall by 50' long was a very expensive mistake.

And that is the chance we take by doing so. We would not put drywall up as that is pushing it bit far. For a while city of Tampa actually gave us early start permits.
Many store build outs cover front windows with paper so very hard for anyone to even know we are in there working.

The GC are the ones taking the big chance because if the order us to start before the permit and walls need changed then we could back charge.
Did see it hapen on one job but issue was not caught untill inspector showed up. Wasn't the plans that got changed ,it was the GC's men not reading the height of the wall so they had to add 2 feet on the top. Far from being a strong wall that way. Made only a few minutes of problems for me.

Reason for jumping ahead of permits is simple. Starting early i had no pressure, if we waited till permit then they want us to get our part done in 3 days rather than 3 weeks. That then takes it from a 1 or 2 man job and turns it into 10 men and often we simply would not have that many to pull from other jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.