demand or connected which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrvazzer

I'm feeding a new distribuion panel that will serve multiple 208/120 3ph panels and some 208v, 3ph equipments. The connected load is approx 1050 amp at 208v 3ph. Im picking a transformer size for this New Dist. Pnl. I'm picking a 480v 500KVA and that's base on the secondary output of 1388A. Am I correct or can I go with a smaller Transformer. I believe the next lower sizes is 350KVA and that only allows for 972Amps. The other question is that a demand factor has not been applied to the connected load. If I new what demand factor to use I made be able to reduce the transformer size. I'm just confused regarding transformer size.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The transformer should be sized on the basis of calculated load, not just connected load. I suspect that you can't just apply one demand factor to the total load, but would have to apply separate demand factors to separate loads, depending on the types of loads and the type of facility under consideration. But if you knew the appropriate demand factors, and were able to obtain a calculated load that is below the connected load, then you can (and should) size the transformer according to the lower value.

jrvazzer

Thanks, for your quick responds. I beleive I can take a little more time to calculated the demand on this load and reduce the size of the 500KVA.

jrvazzer

Thanks, if you can recommend diversity. The loads I'm dealing with is supermarket, equipment like kitchens cooking, baking products, mixers lots of tracks lighting grinders for coffee and meat, air curtain , compactors etc.What kind of diversity would you consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.